Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

shift cable

HeWhoKillz
06-16-2016, 11:13 AM
i have a 98 dodge avenger v6 automatic transmission. where can i find a shift cable? I have called places like autozone that says it has been discontinued. Junk yards don't have any either. Where should I go?

shorod
06-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Is the cable itself bad, or just the end of the sleeve that snaps in to a bracket? The reason I ask is because I have successfully 3D printed new ends to replace broken ones for door latch cables and that might be an option for you as well.

-Rod

Stealthee
06-16-2016, 03:10 PM
The problem with junkyards is they usually cut the shift cables to remove the engine and trans. They'd rather save 30 seconds than to save a few parts someone might need.

All the v6 Avengers were automatic so that's a plus. Sebrings, Ciruss, etc were all basically the same car too so any of those with the 2.5 v6 will have the proper cable.

HeWhoKillz
06-17-2016, 12:44 PM
The problem with junkyards is they usually cut the shift cables to remove the engine and trans. They'd rather save 30 seconds than to save a few parts someone might need.

All the v6 Avengers were automatic so that's a plus. Sebrings, Ciruss, etc were all basically the same car too so any of those with the 2.5 v6 will have the proper cable.

Do you know what year the sebrings and cirus I can ask for?

HeWhoKillz
06-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Is the cable itself bad, or just the end of the sleeve that snaps in to a bracket? The reason I ask is because I have successfully 3D printed new ends to replace broken ones for door latch cables and that might be an option for you as well.

-Rod

The cable itselfbroke.I can longer shift it.

Stealthee
06-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Do you know what year the sebrings and cirus I can ask for?
A quick Google told me 95-00.

HeWhoKillz
06-20-2016, 10:49 AM
A quick Google told me 95-00.

I asked every junk yard about the three cars and those years and I still told most of them are cut when they take the transmission out. Even if the sebring and cirus have the same transmission and cable will it be the same length?

Stealthee
06-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Yes. They are literally the same car with different bumper covers

Add your comment to this topic!