Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant leaks when Buick is not running.

whiskeybill1976
05-26-2016, 11:14 AM
I have a 1998 Buick lesaber it ran hot the other day [temp light came on] do I pulled in to gastation and the overflow tank was empty I filled it to the hot line and ran it for a few minutes light went off drove 8 blocks to my house let it cool down and opens the radiator cap no coolant. I checked the overflow tank empty too. So I got some coolant from my garage and poured it into the radiator as I was pouring it started to leak out somewhere on the upper passenger side of the engine under the plastic noise cover and behind the pulleys. This happened while the car was not running. Any ideas it's my family's only car so I can't tear it apart until the weekend and without some kind of idea where to start or what parts to have on hand.

aleekat
05-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Auto parts store, loan a tool program. Coolant pressure tester. Guessing water pump.

Stealthee
05-26-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm going to guess a coolant elbow split. If it was the water pump it likely wouldn't leak with the car not running.

aleekat
05-26-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm going to guess a coolant elbow split. If it was the water pump it likely wouldn't leak with the car not running.

I stand corrected. Didn't read it thoroughly.

harleyguy
05-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Agreed check the righ side kind of back corner closer to the top.
I hate those things I have replaced many of them.

Blue Bowtie
05-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Another guess that it is the coolant elbows. Get the Dorman kit (47065HP) which includes all the O-rings and both coolant elbows in metal instead of plastic. Be sure to apply silicone grease or Parker O-Lube to the O-rings before assembly. Plan on a leisurely three hour afternoon project.

whiskeybill1976
05-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all your help, I had to buy pass the coolant tester my local auto parts store did not have one and I did not fill like driving all the way across town. I just bought the coolant elbow kit 2 elbows and 4 orings I could only find one tube up by the head and it was leaking. Unfortunately it broke off in the head the whole oring area anyway I was able to get it out of the coolant bypass idler but I lost the part in the head so I'm hoping that does not cause any problems. It took 3 hours and 15 minutes from hood up to hood down. I noticed on the bottom side of my radiator cap it had some gunk not oil but felt like silicone mixed with water any suggestions what it might be? Thanks again I am glad I joined and pleased with the help.

Tech II
05-30-2016, 05:09 AM
That's known as the Dexcool crud....it forms when Dexcool is exposed to air.....Just flush it off....

You are suppose to flush your coolant every 5 years, or 100K miles, whichever comes first.....I'm guessing it hasn't been done in awhile, so now would be a good time to do it....

whiskeybill1976
05-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Is it ok to run something other than dexcool in my Buick?

Blue Bowtie
05-30-2016, 08:42 PM
You can run the older type (silicated) PEG coolant like Prestone green or other generic coolant, but MUST flush the system completely before changing over. Mixing the coolant types can cause solids to precipitate out of the mixture and begin to clog passages or cause other damage. And then you will have the opportunity to change coolant every two years instead of five that the DexCool will survive.

Add your comment to this topic!