Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Caprice LS BR., no dash lights ???

89 Caprice
04-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Hi, I am new here. I recently purchased an 89 caprice, the instrument lights will not work but the floor lights come on instead (stay on). I was talking to previous owner, he said only problem he ever had was cig. lighter blowing fuses and horn not working. Not sure if he was doing some backyard wiring or not? I do know when cig. Lighter is used( fuse blows) the horn and stereo wont work? The key switch does not work in the car, will start without keys? All other lights work perfect. Need help please! :frown:

silicon212
04-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Check all of your fuses. Check the fuse for the dash lights. Also check your tail light fuse ... if that is blown sometimes the dash lights will not come on. The floor lights are activated by the door switches - does the dome light stay on too?

89 Caprice
04-13-2016, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the reply, no bulb in dome light, I guess it was taken out so he could run with the floor lights on (glows red). Floor lights come on when the park lights or headlights are used.

silicon212
04-14-2016, 11:23 AM
That'll do it, too ... and pretty effectively at that ... ;) Glad you got it taken care of.

89 Caprice
04-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks silicon212, it was a loose fuse in the fuse panel, pushed it into place and works perfect.

Add your comment to this topic!