Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

30 sec delay required to start car and D4 flashing

Protheos
04-09-2016, 11:25 PM
My 95 Honda accord 4 cy. vtech, will turn over but not will start, you can try unlimited times and it just cranks, but no fire or start.... UNLESS I wait about 30 seconds first. In this time what happens is, for 15 seconds the usual dash lights are on, including check engine light, at 16 seconds the D4 green transmission light starts to flash rapidly. At 30 seconds the main relay can be heard to finally click in, and the fuel pump whirs and primes the fuel system for 1.5 seconds and immediately the check engine light turns off, the D4 light turns off, and the fuel pump also stops whirring. AT this point, at any time from here on out, (until you turn the car off again) you can turn the key the rest of the way to start, and the engine cranks over and now immediately starts right up!
Sometimes all the above happens just as described, but the D4 transmission position light does not start to flash. Everything else happens the same way and timing and after 30 seconds the car will start. NOTES: a. The obd trouble codes do not flash any codes when the jumper is put in place to read the codes. b. I have removed and checked the main relay, looked ok, and just in case I re-soldered all connections on the main relay board. c.the car drives and shifts fine. d. The time frames are exactly the same every time. Electronically perfectly the same, like the computer finally decides, OK go ahead and work now. Or like the car is attempting by some programmed response to say that something is wrong and needs attention.
Thank you...I hope someone knows what causes this, please advise.

Stealthee
04-09-2016, 11:57 PM
It could be a faulty ecu issue. My cousin had a weird issue similar to this on his Civic and replacing the ECU fixed it.

somick
04-10-2016, 10:09 AM
It could be a faulty ecu issue. My cousin had a weird issue similar to this on his Civic and replacing the ECU fixed it.... or it could be a fuel pressure issue: while you wait it builds up enough pressure to start.

Good luck,
Sam

Stealthee
04-10-2016, 10:52 AM
... or it could be a fuel pressure issue: while you wait it builds up enough pressure to start.

Good luck,
Sam
No, it is not a fuel pressure issue. If you read his post he says the fuel pump does not prime until the 30 second mark. Honda ECU's are responsible for telling the main relay to kick the fuel pump. He already replaced the main relay so it is not the issue.

I will add that until the main relay has proper power not only will the fuel pump not prime, but the injectors will not fire. Trust me, I went through my cousins Civic for several hours with a test light and tested several things before we finally determined the ECU was at fault for his issues.

Add your comment to this topic!