Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 4.3 engine bogs down with accelerating

Shmitty
03-30-2016, 07:54 PM
03 s10. The truck idles fine. Whenever I throttle it bogs down and wants to shut down

MikeCStig
04-11-2016, 02:48 PM
This sounds like an issue that boils down to fuel or fire. Start with the spark plugs. Pull them and check for carbon build-up (dry and black) or oil residue (sticky and black). If you find either of these things, you need new spark plugs. Check the plug wires for any obvious physical defects and test them for continuity. Check the ignition coils for adequate voltage.
If all of those things are ok, it's time to look at the fuel system. Start with the injectors. If they're dirty, they'll spray the fuel in more of a stream, rather than the fine mist it should be. Check the fuel lines for leaks, kinks, or blockage. Check the fuel filter(s) and the fuel pump. If your check engine light is on, get the code checked and that may point you in the right direction.

Stealthee
04-11-2016, 04:47 PM
It could also be a catalytic converter issue.

harleyguy
04-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Yes I would start with ignition. Check the cap and rotor well those things have a bad habit of carbon tracking. I have also seen a melted cat plug up and restrict flow. Get a fuel psi gauge and see if psi drops out under load.

Add your comment to this topic!