Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Leak 2001 Grand Am

Tim_Rowe
03-28-2016, 03:20 PM
I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with about 103k miles on it. I've been dealing with a coolant leak for the past two years that seems to come and go. Lately i have narrowed it down to only leaking based on the outside temp. The past week i've been able to pop the hood in the morning and see coolant dripping off of the back part of the transmission pan. It is the same color as the dexcool i use in the car and currently i'm having to fill up the overflow tank every few days. Lately its been about 30 to 40*F in the mornings and that seems to be when i can see it leaking. Once it has warmed up to about 60 or 70*F the leak seems to slow to the point where i can no longer see it dripping from the transmission pan to the ground. It also seems to go completely away while the car is at temp. I have no white smoke blowing from the exhaust and the oil itself still has a copper color to it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Until recently, i could go up to 6 months without seeing any puddles under the car. It was only happening during colder days. However, it wasn't until recently while its been cold out that it started leaking to the point where i could see it dripping.

gmtech1
03-29-2016, 01:59 PM
I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with about 103k miles on it. I've been dealing with a coolant leak for the past two years that seems to come and go. Lately i have narrowed it down to only leaking based on the outside temp. The past week i've been able to pop the hood in the morning and see coolant dripping off of the back part of the transmission pan. It is the same color as the dexcool i use in the car and currently i'm having to fill up the overflow tank every few days. Lately its been about 30 to 40*F in the mornings and that seems to be when i can see it leaking. Once it has warmed up to about 60 or 70*F the leak seems to slow to the point where i can no longer see it dripping from the transmission pan to the ground. It also seems to go completely away while the car is at temp. I have no white smoke blowing from the exhaust and the oil itself still has a copper color to it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Until recently, i could go up to 6 months without seeing any puddles under the car. It was only happening during colder days. However, it wasn't until recently while its been cold out that it started leaking to the point where i could see it dripping.

I suggest either purchasing or renting a cooling system pressure tester, pressurize the system and let it sit. You may need a flashlight and a inspection mirror to help isolate the leak. You could still have a head gasket leak, intake, freeze plug, hose, ect...

Tech II
03-30-2016, 01:16 PM
For two years?

You are very fortunate that the car has not overheated and caused you more costly problems....

xeroinfinity
04-20-2016, 04:08 PM
only a couple things on the back that can leak. freeze plugs and heater hoses. sometimes those factory plastic hose connectors leak. i'd check there

Add your comment to this topic!