Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with Airbrushing/Alclad for Chrome

darthmilk
03-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Some background, Started with Krylon Gloss Black Polished and I tried using a gravity fed and a siphon. .8mm and .5mm. Ranging from 18psi to 30 psi.

I am trying to achieve the chrome similar to this:

When I was testing it at my friends how I was using abour 30 to 40 psi with a DA gravity fed but it wasted a lot of paint.

I think this is the best chrome but tbh I have no idea what I did to get here.

I have been reading that the siphon fed .8mm cheap airbrush is the best to use for alclad but when I use it at 15-18 psi it gets really foggy and grainy.

This is after buffing as well. What is the issue and how can I fix this? I tried spraying close and far from 1" to 3" and it still looks like this. These are using brand new airbrushes btw.

sjelic
03-18-2016, 06:23 AM
I can't see the pictures, but the thing with Alclad is to use it as less as possible, so a lot of air and very small amount of paint, so just don't be trigger happy, I can get same results with low or high pressure through AB, so that is not crucial, even thou chrome is lot more forgiving if you have a bit lower pressure. Grains in Alclad are formed when Alclad it self is old, or mixed with some other paint/thinner. You can see if it is ok or not when it is still in bottle, if you can see dirt like grains it will probably make you problem when spraying. I like revell black number 7 under Alclad (oil).

lemansnut
03-18-2016, 07:51 AM
As Sasa mentioned, it's best to spray very light layers and slowly build the finish. If you spray a normal "wet" coat it seems to dull the finish and could even attack the enamel base coat. I like using a light gray base instead of black, it's a little harder to see your progress but I think it brightens the chrome.

Mike

sbvwfanatic
03-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Most write-ups and Youtube on Alclad state using 10-15psi.

kaisers_phoenix
03-19-2016, 02:38 AM
From my own experience.. Whether you are on high psi or low.. Key here is not to flood the surface.. The alclad need to land on surface dry.. You cannot apply normal airbrushing technique with alclad.

Add your comment to this topic!