Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help changing spark plugs for the first time

Volunteer871
03-13-2016, 01:13 PM
I am changing my own spark plugs for the first time. I have a spark plug wrench, dielectric grease, anti-seize compound etc.

I have a Haynes manual for my 2002 Toyota Corolla. The book was written before Irridium plugs were used. Should I tighten the spark plugs to the same torque specifications as regular plugs? The book says 158 inch pounds. How do I know I have tightend them to the right amount?

How do I avoid cross threading the spark plugs? What happens if you cross thread the spark plugs (assuming the car seems to be running fine)? Would I need a new engine or expensive repair when it is time to replace the spark plugs again?

Crvett69
03-13-2016, 04:04 PM
make sure you can spin them in with your fingers and socket and extension most of the way, it they go in by hand then you know they are not cross-threaded. you will want to tighten them to same spec as the factory plugs. only way to know for sure is to use a torque wrench that does inch pounds but 158 inch pounds is not real tight. thats only 13.3 foot pounds so maybe just a little bit past snug

somick
03-14-2016, 11:17 AM
make sure you can spin them in with your fingers and socket and extension most of the way, it they go in by hand then you know they are not cross-threaded. you will want to tighten them to same spec as the factory plugs. only way to know for sure is to use a torque wrench that does inch pounds but 158 inch pounds is not real tight. thats only 13.3 foot pounds so maybe just a little bit past snugThe torque specs they give you are for the dry install. If you are going to use anti-seize you will apply too much torque. Just tighten them by feel. When the plug stops spinning 1/4 turn would be sufficient. All you need is to flatten that crush washer.

Make sure you use tiny bit of anti-seize. Make sure you do not put any of the compound on the electrodes! This is very important!

Good luck,
Sam

Add your comment to this topic!