Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front wheel bearing

tuffy65
03-09-2016, 06:08 PM
How hard is the front wheel bearings to change? I've done this on a Taurus is it about the same? This is on a 2001.

Mac2002
03-09-2016, 07:59 PM
On my 2000 Windstar, right side, the cv joint has to removed from the hub first as the bearing mounting bolts are accessed from the back side of the hub. Pop out the lower ball joint and the outer tie rod from the hub and press out the cv joint with a puller. Then remove the bearing mounting bolts and the bearing. You will have to pull hard on the strut to get it out of the way. * I cussed Ford for this as my 1991 Chevrolet Lumina van had the bearing mounting bolts on the outside of the hub, easily removed and the bearing removed without touching the ball joint or tie rod. Well thought out.

Ed_Strong
03-09-2016, 09:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYTfU03HXOo
just follow this guys instructions and you'll be done in no time... thats how I do mine! No need to remove the axle or suspension parts...!Even tho hes working on a Ford Taurus... the process is exactly the same for the Windstar

tuffy65
03-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Thank you for the help guys. The video was helpful.

Mac2002
03-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the video. Although its been a little while since I did the bearing replacement, I was sure I didnt have enough room to get a socket on the top bolt without completely removing the cv joint from the hub. If I ever have to do it again, I guess I'll pay more attention.

scubacat
03-11-2016, 11:32 AM
I recommend popping the ball joint out. Then you can push the axle back. It's really not much more work and will make accessibility a LOT easier. (It'll probably be quicker and will allow you to simply remove the 3 bolts without any hassle.)

If there's a lot of rust, that chisel won't be nearly enough to break it loose. I had to remove the knuckle completely and beat the hub out with a sledge hammer.

tuffy65
03-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.I will probably pop out the axle and ball joint.

Add your comment to this topic!