Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS and brake Light on at same time

bcopeland
03-03-2016, 02:39 PM
I believe this to be a common problem but is there a straight fix for this? What seems to cause this problem of the ABS and brake light coming on at the same time intermittently. I can go an hour or so then pop -- then come on. Its a 2001 with a 5.3 in it.

gmtech1
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
I believe this to be a common problem but is there a straight fix for this? What seems to cause this problem of the ABS and brake light coming on at the same time intermittently. I can go an hour or so then pop -- then come on. Its a 2001 with a 5.3 in it.
1st things 1st...have the ABS code(s) read. Post the code.

brcidd
03-03-2016, 03:51 PM
If code 0265 comes up, there is a fix for that- requires re-soldering bad solder joints on circuit board on pump module.

j cAT
03-03-2016, 05:30 PM

the 265 code on these trucks is normally what the problem is. both lights come on. the ABS ECBM is mounted on top of the ABS valve body . this is a very bad location . the ground maybe the problem at the frame rail next to it. if that is good and clean then the ECBM need be removed and opened up to be re-soldered . sounds real easy but no its a PITA. this is because GM used steel screws into the alum valve body. then after all that and you squeeze out the ECBM then you need to remove a few more rusted out screws . then using a sharp razor cut slowly slightly into the rubber sealant along the edge being care not to cut up the internals. many vides out there and tools required to do this repair. cost to repair $2 ...........unless you break something like brake lines or the ECBM needing replacing I believe these are available now for $250 new. that is the ECBM... the ABS valve body is the expensive part of this. this is next to the exhaust cat converter behind the front wheel NOT A GOOD DESIGN GM !!! WHAT YOU COULD DO IS pull the abs 60amp fuse. then drop out the dash and use high temp black paint and black out these lamps. being a 2001 why go nuts on it

bcopeland
10-17-2017, 04:09 PM
I had to replace the ABS brake module and the brake booster -- sorry for taking so long to respond.

j cAT
10-22-2017, 06:28 PM

there is no one fix on this.. since your drive a bit and the both lights come on my guess is the hub sensors need a cleaning and you should also file down the hub assy at the area that the sensor sits in the bore hole
.. rust does push out the sensor .. when the hub is spinning by hand the ac voltage on the sensor should be more than 350 MVAC .35 volts AC..

this design is common as the hub rusts very fast in rust belt .. also GM used hub wheel bearing seals that rusted out on my 2000 which caused the water to blow up the hub bearings..

then the screws GM used on ABS valve body are steel so the aluminum housing destroys the fasteners and the circuit components get damaged as the fasteners rust away..

this is why these trucks do have high accident rate.

Add your comment to this topic!