Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advice about 3rd party GPS systems?

PinklinThomas
03-02-2016, 09:00 PM
My 2011 Toyota Camry LE doesn't have a GPS system. I want to buy a portable, 3rd party GPS system. I have heard that my car has Bluetooth capability, although I'm not certain this is true. I have the following questions:

1. Does my car really have Bluetooth capability?
2. Is Bluetooth the only relevant technology for my needs?
3. Do I plug the GPS unit into the car's data port? Where IS the car's data port?
4. Do I need a GPS service provider?
5. What about a power source - do these things run on batteries, or can I plug it into the thing that used to be for the cigarette lighter?
6. Are these 3rd party products reliable?
7. Could I get the kind of GPS unit that actually talks to you inexpensively?
8. Is there anything else I need to know about 3rd party GPS systems?

Thanks for any help.

Brian R.
03-03-2016, 07:21 AM
1. Does my car really have Bluetooth capability? I don't think so.

2. Is Bluetooth the only relevant technology for my needs? Yes

3. Do I plug the GPS unit into the car's data port? Where IS the car's data port? No, you just supply power

4. Do I need a GPS service provider? No

5. What about a power source - do these things run on batteries, or can I plug it into the thing that used to be for the cigarette lighter? Ingeneral, they have a power cord which plugs into an auxiliary power plug or cigarette light port.

6. Are these 3rd party products reliable? Yes, but sometimes they don't take the most time-efficient route.

7. Could I get the kind of GPS unit that actually talks to you inexpensively? Most talk to you and they vary greatly in price range. You can get a cheap one which talks

8. Is there anything else I need to know about 3rd party GPS systems? Get one with lifetime map upgrades, traffic alerts (if possible) and has upgradable warnings for traffic signal cameras and speed cameras. I use Garmin, but there are many manufacturers.

PinklinThomas
03-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Hi Brian, thanks for the help.

Brian R.
03-19-2016, 11:08 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that in order to use the displayed map in a complicated route, like in the city with many strange turns, you have to magnify the display so that the individual routes to an intersection are visible on the display. Usually these devices say turn left or right or turn right at the traffic signal and highlight the desired route, but if there are a choice of more than one right turn, it can be confusing. You need the display magnified to show each turn individually so that you can figure out what the voice is telling you. On the highway, you can keep it at a much lessor magnification and see the turns far in advance.

Mike Gerber
03-19-2016, 12:30 PM
I have had Garmins for about 8 years now. With the units I have had, they all say turn right at ABC street in __ blocks/__feet, so I rarely even look at the display once I have set the destination. I just listen to the verbal instructions. I would make sure the device you choose speaks street names. The one I purchased about 15 months ago was less than $100 on sale, speaks street names and still has lifetime map upgrades.

Mike

RonaldWill
08-25-2017, 01:37 AM
I'd recommend Trackimo GPS to start with friend, reason why I recommend Trackimo is that it can be versatile I have no problems using Trackimo than other GPS devices I used, ofc it is still up to you to decide which GPS device unit you want to use.
Personally though Trackimo GPS is the one for me.

I hoped I helped! :D

Add your comment to this topic!