Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

running freezer in a cargo trailer.

Granttg
03-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Hello all,

I need help to set up and run a small chest-type freezer in my cargo trailer. the electrical stats for the freezer are as follows:

1.69A
12A start up
115V AC

My main goal is to run the freezer on car power (Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ tow package) while in transit, then shore power (AC) when parked. Transit time would rarely exceed 10hrs.

What is the best way to attack this? Thanks in advance for the help.

brcidd
03-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I tried this over a weekend - on local utility power- plugged into house---with doors closed on trailer- it does not work- gets too hot in trailer to adequately dissipate heat from freezer condenser coils- all my meat thawed and was unusable. So unless you can assure good outside air flow to your freezer condenser lines- forget it.

MikeCStig
03-02-2016, 08:03 PM
This can totally be done, but it would take some fabrication and I seriously doubt that it can be done off your car's electrical system.
You'll probably need a small generator, obviously you can't just throw it in the trailer and fire it up, you would need secure it in one place with a gap or some sort of heat shield between the generator and the wall. You would also need to fabricate an exhaust system that pipes the exhaust outside. Another way would be if the tongue of the trailer is big enough, you could build a platform on it and bolt the generator to that. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a custom exhaust for the generator, just a small hole to run a cord through.
Also, as far as the heat issue goes, just keep the coils away from the wall so the heat can disperse and you should be fine. I've seen 2 large chest freezers mounted in the back of a GMC Topkick (large box truck) that also carried tools, electrical supplies, and a big industrial generator. There was a big enough gap between the coils and the walls so heat buildup was never an issue.
Of course whether you should do this or not depends on ambition and fabrication skill. Whichever way you do it, it's going to be quite a project and it will take some skill to do it right. If you can't quite pull it off, there's always dry ice!:biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!