Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radiator drain valve - is it broken or do I need a special tool?

Steelwheel
02-21-2016, 10:11 PM
I was looking into how to change the coolant on my Intrigue, and managed to find the radiator drain valve at the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. However, according to the manual, it seems like there should be a knob that can be twisted with fingers, but all I can see is a white, about 1/2 inch piece of plastic with a notch in the middle, and a small maybe 5-6mm hole going straight into it.

Did the knob break off? Do I need a special tool to twist it open? I tried to put a pair of pliers on it to open it, but was unsuccessful as I could not get a good grip on the knob. If I jacked the car up and took the wheel off on that side, I think I might be able to get more leverage.

Thanks!

brian_k24
02-22-2016, 07:49 AM
On mine the hole in it is a for a 1/4 drive. I use a small 1/4 drive extension and ratchet to remove.

brcidd
02-22-2016, 09:00 AM
I don't trust plastic drain valves- If it breaks- you are SOL-and they can also be hard to reseal - So I always just pull off lower radiator hose (for coolant replacement) or siphon out what I can for minor repairs.....

Think about it- been there done that....

fhofstra
02-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Steelwheel -
This thread from the past may help:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=578035&highlight=coolant+drain+block

Hope this link posts correctly.

Steelwheel
03-02-2016, 01:18 AM
I don't trust plastic drain valves- If it breaks- you are SOL-and they can also be hard to reseal - So I always just pull off lower radiator hose (for coolant replacement) or siphon out what I can for minor repairs.....

Think about it- been there done that....

I would definitely do that... if the steel clamp on the hose was not opposite the bottom of the vehicle. I tried to reach down from the top to grab it with pliers but was unsuccessful. Not sure what bright genius that installed the thing had in mind.

dosintrigued
03-03-2016, 04:59 PM
I'm not real fond of the plastic drain valve, but I have used it for 18 yrs and multiple coolant flushes on 4 vehicles with minimal issues. I did have one valve that was broken off (purchased vehicle used) and had to replace it. That was only a few dollars at the store.

Try working the valve back and forth some and it should work loose, then you can replace it with a new one.

Add your comment to this topic!