Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

high speed blower speed inop as well as rear window defroster

slingslingbinks
02-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I just bought a 95 lumina 4 door base with a 3100 and i'm looking for the high speed blower motor relay, I hear it clicking and it must be behind the dash some where.

Also the rear window defroster is inop. The indicator on the heater control doesn't light up and i don't see a fuse for it.

I have tried a new hvac control for it and the hvac blower still doesn't have high speed and the rear defroster is still inop.

Anyone have a good wiring diagram for these two circut's.

Or any one delt with these two problem's before?

Thank's Scott.

brcidd
02-20-2016, 09:26 AM
The blower speed issue is at the blower motor resistor pack- located within inches of the blower motor and mounted in the HVAC duct work- follow the purple wire back from the blower motor to find it-- two 5.5 mm screws need to come out to remove it. Look for burnt contact on 12v input wire to the resistor pack- wiggle the connector first with blower motor commanded on high to evaluate properly- I have seen both bad connections and bum relays- since you have no high speed, the burnt connection problem is highly likely.

The rear defrost could be as easy as the circuit breaker (not a fuse) in the IP fuse block- usually on passenger side (with door open). Or it could be a burnt contact in the wiring harness plug in the passenger kick panel- seen both..

slingslingbinks
02-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Thank's Brcidd.
So i take it there isn't a high speed blower relay then! I look at the resistor pack. Funny thing is i hear a relay clicking when i go to the high position so a relay is working. As you say it could be the resistor pack.

As for the defroster i 'll recheck for a CB in the right fuse panel. The decal didn't list one but i may have to check and see if there should be a CB there and it's just missing.

Thank's for your input. I just bought this car and i wanna get some of the bug's worked out before i attempt to drive it.

C-ya Scott, Colorado.

brcidd
02-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Okay- I looked it up- your application shows a relay above blower motor- (pull out glove box to access) and a resistor pack in lower HVAC case to the lower left of blower motor. Again, follow purple wire from blower motor plug to relay, then relay wires come from resistor. look for bad connections, burnt, smoked connectors. If all looks good- tap on relay- if blower fires, the relay needs replaced (has carboned up contacts)

Also rear defrost uses 3 fuses through that feed control head- fuse 16 (30 amp), fuse 24 (15 amp), and fuse 15 (15 amp)- no circuit breaker in this application- if all fuse are good- I'd look for bad connector (burnt) in passenger kick panel plug- the big one- where probably 50 or 60 wires go in and out- rear defrost will be a big purple wire- if connection is burnt- I'd splice around the plug with same size wire- and solder it all in place.

slingslingbinks
02-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Thank's Brcidd.

I found the high blower relay. It was taped to the harness going to the blower motor and the NO side was open when the control was put in high mode. I swapped it out and all is good on that one.

For the rear defroster i only found 2 c-b's in the right fuse panel for elect. window's and power seat's, Witch this car doesn't have power seat's. No other fuses blown or even labeled for the rear defroster.
I'm done for the day and just saw your new comment so i'll look for these fuses you list in your comment and for the big purple wire in the right kick pannel.

The funny thing is that i'm not getting the light on the hvac control telling me the rear defroster is turned on, Even with another hvac control unit. I did check the terminals on the rear defroster them self's and the left side has a ground and the right side is open to positive power.

I did make a harness with a 10 amp fuse and with clip's i hooked it to the battery and with clip's i hooked it to the defroster and it blew the 10 amp fuse, so i put in a 20 amp fuse and it does heat up. But 2 of the grid's are open from some one trying to remove a sticker with a razor blade and i have a repair kit to fix that.

What i could use now is a wiring schematic on the wires going into the hvac control unit. I'm sure there is a open from a fuse to the rear defroster switch it's self, If i understand correctly there is a timer to turn this off in 10 min. and that timer is built into the hvac control unit it's self. But ATM i have not yet found any wiring diagram on this circuit.

Thank's again for your input.

Scott, Colroado.

brcidd
02-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Try this on for size

http://idle-hourranch.com/1995wcar.jpg

slingslingbinks
02-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Thank's Brcidd.

Kind of ya to get me a diagram. Going to check it out now and i'll let ya know the results.

You Da Man. Thank's

Scott, Colorado

slingslingbinks
02-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Hey Brcidd.
I had all the ground's and hot's as per the wiring diaigram were good. I jumped F to G using a 15 amp fuse and the grid powered up. So to and from the hvac control unit was in good shape.
Sence i had a spair hvac control unit i decided to pop it apart. I removed the T10 torx screw and hinged it open and i found the mode-defogger switch had came apart and the momentary part of the switch wasn't closing when i pressed the switch.

I pry'd the switch to the inside and noticed 2 pin's didnot protrude through a steel plate now extend through the plate. I took my solder gun and soldered these pins to the plate holding the switch together and wa-la it's closing the momentary switch and the relay that's mounted to the board closes and the grid get's power as it is suspost to.
Now to repair the 2 spot's in the grid and i'll have it made.

Thank you so much for the help and as when we make these comment's here hopefully it will help some one else as well.

C-Ya and take care, Scott, Colorado.

brcidd
02-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Good- Glad you got it--But to have two bad heads??? Did you open up your spare you had tried to swap earlier- Does it have the same issue?

slingslingbinks
02-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Hi Brcidd.
Both hvac control's were the same and both got repaired the same. Mabey some one pushed in on the defogger control button too hard and popped the switch apart. maybe they got hit, Who know's all i know is there both in operation now.

Add your comment to this topic!