Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Chevrolet k1500 Transfer Case 4wd problem, Please HELP!!!

Jboof
02-18-2016, 11:32 PM
Alright, First off, thank you for any help. It is very appreciated!!

1995 Chevrolet k1500 Manual Transmission, floor shift 4wd 5.7 ltr.

I am having problems tracking down a wiring problem. It seems to be one thing after another. First a while back the front axle actuator wouldnt engage, so this past weekend I finally replaced it. I tried the 4wd and no luck. Next I check the fuse block and #24 slot (4wd) had a burnt fuse. Tried it again and blows fuse as soon as engaging 4wd and key in run position. From there read other forums to unplug and check front axle actuator again blows with out being plugged in. Moved back looking at TCase and checked Transfer Case Switch the same way doeant blow while unplugged. I replaced this switch just incase, with same results as before, fuse continues to blow.

Returned to reading forums and noticed there is another fuse for TCase at #2.....Found atleast one of my problems. This fuse slot is completely burnt out of the box. What can cause this? as far as tracing wires backwards from the box according to wire diagram and what colors should I be looking for?

My plan is to replace and pull those wires from the box and trace backwards hoping to find the short. And replacing fuse slot with a add in fuse link instead of replacing the IP fuse block. But still curious to the cause of the burnt slot. Could the actuator going bad have cause this?

Schurkey
02-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Duplicate thread.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1145745

Add your comment to this topic!