Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats the closest color to Satin Black?

Michael Schumacher
07-01-2003, 10:55 AM
I picked up a Revell 1998 Saleen Mustang and it calls for a lot of Satin Black. Whats the closest to it, flat, semi-gloss, or gloss black? Thanks for the help.

doraemon
07-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Satin is semigloss, in the humbrol paint for example, there is no semigloss, there are, flat, satin and gloss, so the best color is satin black, tamiya has a nice satin one :wink:

dag65
07-01-2003, 02:04 PM
my favorite is no longer made-Racing Satin Black- DAMN! it worked great for all kinds of stuff like interiorss and vynil tops.
Anyhow I started mixing my own by blending flat and gloss, a little more flat than gloss. You cna vary the sheen foe various parts

Michael Schumacher
07-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Ok thanks for the help.

tdoty
07-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Another option comes from Krylon. Instead of a semi-gloss black, the make a semi-flat black. It's got just a bit different sheen to it.

It also works well on black interiors - gives a bit of variation against gloss black, flat black, semigloss black and the various other shades I like to use. It seems to add depth by not always using the same sheen of black.

HTH,

Tim D.

dag65
07-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Yeah for sure the Krylon is great. One word of caution to test it first if you are using other brands of paints, it doesn't play well with some. I know and I found out the hard way.

primera man
07-01-2003, 05:16 PM
You can use a flat black and if its not right you can get a soft cloth and lighty rub over the flat surface and it will bring up a different sheen on the paint.

Very good when wanting to get different shades of black

Add your comment to this topic!