Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Tacoma Dexron III equivalent??

automan9482
02-11-2016, 11:41 PM
2000 Tacoma SR5 Xtracab 2.4L 5 spd 119k.

Just purchased this about a month ago, and was going to do a power steering fluid change.
The owner's manual calls for Dexron III ATF as the power steering fluid. I know this has been superceded, and found many confusing equivalent choices at da parts store. I stared at my choices for about 10 minutes and settled on Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle ATF. It doesn't specify use for Toyotas calling for
Dexron III, and neither did any of the actual PS fluids. The newer versions of Dexron didn't specify compatability with Dex III either. Before I dump it in, I want to make sure it is compatible, and I trust this site more than the guy at the parts store...bc...well. Thanks in advance!

Brian R.
02-12-2016, 07:45 AM
It will work fine.
From the Castrol website:
Castrol Transmax™ Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid is for use in most Honda, Toyota, Nissan and other imported vehicles. It exceeds the requirements of the JASO -1A performance standard created by Japanese Automobile Manufacturers. This standard is recognized by Japanese OEMs in certifying ATF for use in their vehicles.

Warranty and Protection Requirements
Exceeds all passenger car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for vehicles, transmissions or power steering service where a DEXRONŽ-IIIH, MERCONŽ or MERCONŽ V type ATF is specified

Industry Specifications and OEM Approvals
Meets or exceeds General Motors DEXRONŽ-IIIH requirements
Meets or exceeds Ford MERCONŽ V and Ford MERCONŽ requirements
MERCONŽ V approved and licensed by Ford Motor Company
Meets or exceeds JASO-1A requirements

Add your comment to this topic!