Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Burning oil, smoke in exhaust

Stripes27
02-03-2016, 08:04 PM
So I inherited a 99’ Toyota corolla from a family member a few months ago. Notice immediately that the engine was consuming about 1 qt of oil every few hundred miles. So I began adding oil when the engine would start running rough or seemed in need after checking the level. Was never a problem until now.
Problems began with a flickering oil light that started staying on consistently a few days later. Thought nothing of it at first until I noticed the engine laboring at idle in a Farmer Boys drive through later that week. Still didn’t seem like an emergency. Also worth noting that the whole time the oil light was on there was plenty of oil in the pan, kept a very close eye on the level.
A few days later, on a short drive, the engine sounded very rough. It seemed like the camshafts were not getting enough oil. Top engine noise, almost a mild rattle-y sound. Got home within a few minutes and cut off the engine and began my homework on what could be the cause. I knew there was low oil pressure and sludge in the engine so I dropped the oil pan to see if there was something plugging the pickup screen. Sure enough the pickup screen was about 75% packed with sludge. I was relieved, I thought I had found the problem and solved it. Put everything back together, fresh oil, filter and even replaced the pcv valve.
Now the problem: The engine is burning oil to the point of being noticeable in the exhaust(smoke). Felt humiliated when I took the car to get smogged right after the repair thinking my clunker would be the best in the shop and smoke began billowing out of the tail pipe..
Now my question is, what could cause this?? Everything is running smoother than ever it seems. The oil is crystal clear, no light and everything seems perfect. I haven’t taken anything apart yet but I was just curious to know if anybody else has had a similar experience. I can’t imagine the piston rings or valve seals going out so suddenly. This all took place within one to two weeks. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.. Will it go away on it's own? :confused:
p.s. All fluid levels are fine. No lights or strange noises. Smoke is moderately thick with a strange smell (I think it’s just ‘new’ oil burning)

Brian R.
02-05-2016, 09:02 AM
It is possible that it is your oil ring being crudded up to the point of not expanding to wipe the oil off the cylinder walls.

Stripes27
02-05-2016, 11:17 AM
You're right, thank you for the reply Brian. I did a compression test and all but cylinder #3 had 200 psi for dry test(#3 had 75psi). So I did a wet test on 3 and it bumped up to 200 psi..
Now I'm trying to find a way to free the piston rings without taking the engine apart..I've read tons of different formulas on how to do it but not really sure which one to try. I've seen people doing atv+acetone in the cylinder for a seized engine but idk if that would do much for stuck piston rings..also saw marvel mystery oil, seafoam, auto rx...spray water into hot engine. planning on trying a few remedies starting with the least extreme. Again, any advice on the topic would be very much appreciated :)

Brian R.
02-06-2016, 05:37 PM
There may be no remedy if your cylinder walls are scored. I would do a boroscope on the cylinders before spending any more time. The improved compression from adding oil to the cylinder points to a compression ring or the cylinder walls. Low compression (compression rings) and oil consumption (oil ring) points to cylinder walls.

If you hope to fix this with an additive, I would try AutoRX first. It is specifically made for sludge.

auto1lover
02-26-2016, 02:25 AM
Resurs helps with that problem, I saw a video https://youtu.be/7DacWYRFGpA?list=PLmH2HVmnpeftsnlTm1fUIoYza7-DVFXZe and actually tried the same thing with my car, amazing but it really worked, tho I was too afraid to put this liquid thing firstly

Add your comment to this topic!