Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2011 Malibu Dies

swiederin
01-23-2016, 12:33 PM
I have a 2011 Malibu that will die while driving. In the past it started up right away but now it won't start. No codes. No warning. Dealer found nothing in the past. Now its at a local repair shop....nothing.

What to do next? Any ideas appreciated.

Tech II
01-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a fuel pump on it's way out....

If the car does not fail for the garage, keep a can of carb cleaner handy....when it dies and won't start, spray carb cleaner into the intake , then try to start vehicle.....if it starts/runs until the carb cleaner is used up, it's a fuel delivery problem....

paulfromoh
01-23-2016, 03:33 PM
My wife's 02 Malibu did that too and it turned out to be a plugged up catalytic converter. But after 2-3 times it ended up throwing an O2 sensor code

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

swiederin
01-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Update.

The girl that drives the car now says that she can tell that the car begins to lose power.....and pulls over. Seems like a fuel pump to me but read on.

She can start the car after a few minutes and then it will only run for 5 seconds. She says she can do this start routine as often as she wants but each time it runs for the 5 seconds and shuts itself off.

Security systems problem?

Tech II
01-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I doubt it's a SECURITY problem.....it doesn't cause an engine to stall or lose power......

swiederin
01-24-2016, 06:56 AM
I doubt it's a SECURITY problem.....it doesn't cause an engine to stall or lose power......

I was under the impression that some security systems would prohibit the car from running if there was a ignition key mismatch as if someone was trying to steal the car. I definitely do not know those security systems but is it possible that some aspect of the anti-theft security system could be the culprit?

Tech II
01-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Your original post was, "dies while driving, and then won't restart"......the SECURITY system will not cause that to happen, once the car is started....

Now, if you shut the car off, normally, and THEN go to start it and it doesn't start, then yes, it could be a Security problem......only way to know is, scan it for codes....however, almost all scan tools and cheap codes readers CAN'T scan for "B" codes....they can only read "P" codes.....the code you are looking for is usually B2958 or B2960......

The Grim Reaper
02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Did this one get figured out?

Add your comment to this topic!