Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

odometer moving too fast

famlycar
12-27-2015, 09:15 PM
My corolla odometer is adding miles faster than usual all of a sudden. getting about 1.4 miles instead of just one mile. the car has 250,000 miles on it now... What can I do to adjust it, replace it, or what?
Thanks

Also, when should rear brake drums be replaced. My bearings are bad so should I replace the drums too?
thanks

Crvett69
12-28-2015, 10:31 AM
if speedometer reads correctly i would say replace the instrument cluster, easier than trying to take yours apart to fix it. on the brakes drums when you get them off they will have the maximum dia. cast into them, can measure to see if they are still turnable or are ok the way they are

famlycar
12-29-2015, 05:41 AM
ok, thanks. I'll just leave all the way it is for awhile if there is no harm in doing so.

famlycar
01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
One more thing I have to add to this problem is that this just began happening just after I replaced my radiator. I had to disconnect two wire harnesses (as with other things) to get the radiator out. Could my disconnecting these harness plugs and reconnecting them caused a malfunction in the odometer speed? (Even before I begin any work on the car I always disconnect the negative battery cable first).

Any ideas on this? I hate the idea of replacing the entire cluster.

JohnDD
01-20-2016, 09:26 AM
The odometer might be doing kilometers instead of miles! 1.4 is the ratio of kilometers to miles. Don't know how that could happen though...

One more thing I have to add to this problem is that this just began happening just after I replaced my radiator. I had to disconnect two wire harnesses (as with other things) to get the radiator out. Could my disconnecting these harness plugs and reconnecting them caused a malfunction in the odometer speed? (Even before I begin any work on the car I always disconnect the negative battery cable first).

Any ideas on this? I hate the idea of replacing the entire cluster.

famlycar
01-21-2016, 12:24 PM
OK. It's more like 1.6 miles but anyway that's a good suggestion. What I can do is disconnect the negative battery cable for say 2 minutes to reset the system? maybe this will place all back the way it was or not. I just drove somewhere that usually adds up to 53 miles but now took 84 miles. By the way, my rear shocks are leaking onto the rear wheels if this helps in figuring this problem out or not.

Add your comment to this topic!