Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 dash cap

Richard S
12-09-2015, 09:23 PM
I have 91 Silverado with cracked dash. I purchased a dash cap from LMC. They said to use silicone to attach, but it doesn't hold in Oklahoma heat. I was wondering if someone has better solution, and what is best way to get all silicone off. It's a vinyl cap and wasn't sure what I could use to clean and not destroy. Thanks for any advise.

j cAT
12-10-2015, 07:55 AM
I have 91 Silverado with cracked dash. I purchased a dash cap from LMC. They said to use silicone to attach, but it doesn't hold in Oklahoma heat. I was wondering if someone has better solution, and what is best way to get all silicone off. It's a vinyl cap and wasn't sure what I could use to clean and not destroy. Thanks for any advise.

ON A vinyl dash you use denatured alcohol .. also on leather . this cleans off the slime and allows a good bond.. silicone sealant is not good for bonding. I would use DOW 795 this product has good adhesion takes the heat and does flex great. used in the glass world of construction to seal metal/plastic/wood/concrete etc..comes in many colors very long life durable. I found this out when I dyed my 96 vinyl dash .

Richard S
12-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the information. I looked on Amazon and saw DOW 795 silicone builder. Is that the material you are referring to?

j cAT
12-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the information. I looked on Amazon and saw DOW 795 silicone builder. Is that the material you are referring to?

it is dow corning 795 silicone building sealant. this should work and you can get it in many colors.

this material sticks so good and is with a great amount of flex ability I even sealed the cracks in my asphalt driveway. has held up for years of heat and cold plus crack movements on temp changes..

this product is also non acid like silicone rubber type sealers. that means if you wish to use it on mirrors it will not damage them.

I am sure this will work well for this use you need plus many other fixes.

Add your comment to this topic!