Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Issue with Water Pump replacement

Promskpr65
11-28-2015, 06:59 PM
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 liter. I replaced the water pump as well as the fan clutch. After I put everything back together I let the engine run for about 20 minutes and everything sounded fine. When I took the truck for a drive the fan sounds like its in a hurricane. Any suggestions? Could I have accidently put the fan backwards?

brcidd
11-29-2015, 08:24 AM
New fan clutch either has "morning sickness" or is locked up.

I usually describe it as it sounds like a jet engine.

Fan clutches re-act to radiator temperature and should only engage the fan when they feel the heat. Yours is engaging with or without heat. There is a chance it will break loose and start working okay after a 100 miles or so- or you can take it back and try again, or buy a better quality fan clutch.

This why I despise fan clutches- at least with an electric fan, you know if it is working properly.

Better to have it fail this way, than the opposite, not spinning at all.

Fan blades are usually unable to be installed backwards..Which way is air blowing? Does a tissue cling to front of condenser? or blow off?

Promskpr65
11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. You are right about the sound sounding more like a jet engine. I will replace the clutch with a better quality. Question though, since the fan clutch is attached to the water pump, is there any chance that the water pump could be the issue?

Promskpr65
11-29-2015, 06:06 PM
I replaced the fan clutch with another new one and I had the same issue. I burped the system by raising the right front and let it idle for about 45 minutes with the heater on full. I drove th truck for 15 minutes or so and the clutch finally engaged and the sound went away. Maybe the cold temperature contributed with the clutch's delayed cooperation.

Thanks again for your expertise.

brcidd
11-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Good to know it let loose--

BTW- you drove it and the fan clutch disengaged- not engaged-- it engages when hot and makes the jet engine noise, when free- wheeling, all is quiet....

DeltaP
11-30-2015, 10:00 AM
I've found some aftermarket brands to be louder than others but were working/cycling ok.

Add your comment to this topic!