Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can someone help me identify this Solenoid (or what part needs replacing)?

saturnsbelt703
11-26-2015, 10:35 PM
I have a 2002 Honda Accord with about 170,000 miles on it. The transmission has been giving me a hard time lately. The car is still very drive-able but when I turn it on in the morning and put it on reverse than D3, it "jumps" to the gear. Sometimes the TCS light comes on. My mechanic who I consider trustworthy identified the car part who says thinks might be the problem, it is one of the solenoids. He says the solenoid might be bad. Before I buy the part and have him install it, do you think this is the case? Attached are pics of the solenoid. My mechanic is nice and lets me buy the car parts myself to save me money. I really appreciate it if you help me out. Thank You

http://imgur.com/a/3yK8L

somick
11-27-2015, 11:03 AM
A real mechanic does not guess! unless he is a DIY-er. He should know! This is his job. If he is a part changer you will keep buying parts and keep paying him.

I am sorry I cannot help you with your particular question but I used to have the same problem with my Toyota. ATF drain/refill fixed that.

I would start with the fresh fluid.

Good luck,
Sam

somick
11-29-2015, 10:09 AM
I would look for a mechanic that can read codes and identify problems before changing parts.

The drain/refill will not hurt. What fluid did you use for the previous one? Honda is very picky! It likes only Honda ATF.

Good luck,
Sam

saturnsbelt703
11-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I used Castrol high mileage transmission fluid. I changed the transmission fluid 4 months ago. What is the name of the transmission fluid you recommend for me to use on my Honda?

saturnsbelt703
11-29-2015, 02:02 PM
I have been doing a little research, some people say Honda Genuine ATF fluid? Do you agree? Also, how many quarts what I need? You have really helpful, thank you

kris
11-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Have you been changing the trans fluid with Honda Z-1 ATF every 2 years or 36K as specified by Honda?

1. If so, your trans shift solenoids might be on the way out, which could be a simple fix.

2. If not, replace the ATF with Honda Z-1 ATF THREE times, driving a bit between each change (a week between is OK). That's about 10 qts of Z1, essentially a poor mans flush.

This often "fixes" Honda transmissions (they are fussy about the friction characteristics of the fluid). If it doesn't, see #1.

Don't waste your money on additives with these transmissions.

Buy a bunch of fluid, time and money to flush the system, or buy no solenoids... might be a toss up.

somick
11-30-2015, 09:36 AM
I have been doing a little research, some people say Honda Genuine ATF fluid? Do you agree? Also, how many quarts what I need? You have really helpful, thank youIt takes me 2.5 quarts per refill. Since you have a wrong fluid in you transmission I would do at least 3 drain/refills.

1. Drain/refill once.
2. Drive for some time to make sure your fluid mixes well.
3,4. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

I hope this will fix your tranny problems.

Good luck,
Sam

Add your comment to this topic!