Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 silverado 2500 cranks no start

busa4
11-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Hello. My silverado no longer starts and the fuel gauge no longer reads. so far figured out that there is no power to the fuel pump and sending unit. Does anyone have an engine wiring diagram for this truck with the 6.0 engine?
Thanks

rhandwor
11-21-2015, 09:19 AM
I don't have a wiring diagram, Check for a blown fuse. Unplug wiring to fuel pump on top of tank. Use a DVOM and check for power to the fuel pump. Then set the meter to ohms. Put one end in the ground wire and the other end to the metal frame. Check for continuity a bad ground will cause these type of problems.
You can always hook up temporary wiring to the fuel pump.
Check for spark pull a plug wire and install a good plug ground and check for spark.

Blue Bowtie
11-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Does this Silverado have two fuel tanks or just one? Is it a 2500HD or standard 2500? There are wiring differences between the two.

One thing that will be important regardless of the type, and a thing which is common to that entire generation of trucks, is the chassis ground connection for the fuel tank sending unit. There is a ground connection at the left frame rail slightly forward of the left rear wheel opening. This connection provides ground for both the fuel level sender and the fuel pump. They are prone to corrosion due to spray being generated by the LR wheel.

Blue Bowtie
11-21-2015, 11:07 AM
This is the wiring for the standard 2500:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/2001Silverado25006,0EngineControls.pdf

j cAT
11-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Hello. My silverado no longer starts and the fuel gauge no longer reads. so far figured out that there is no power to the fuel pump and sending unit. Does anyone have an engine wiring diagram for this truck with the 6.0 engine?
Thanks

key on check for fuel pump relay to turn on. swap relay. no relay action my guess is the PCM is not allowing the fuel pump relay to energize very common with security light on. engine may run .5 sec then stall.

Blue Bowtie
11-21-2015, 12:43 PM
That's also good advice, and the relay should close for 2 seconds upon ignition turn-on or engine crank (ignition reference pulses).

However, the chassis ground is among the few things common to the pump and gauge.

That relay socket can also be jumpered between pins 87 and 30 to power it up constantly instead of just the 2-second prime. This can be useful when diagnosing the circuit. The pump relay can also be commanded on with an MT-2500 or similar scan tool, but not everyone has one at their disposal.

busa4
11-21-2015, 06:31 PM
thanks guys. yes its a standard 2500 with only 1 tank.
the truck ran great most of the day. i got it home and stayed there for an hour or so and when i went to leave with the truck it wouldnt start. no fuel pump. it is most likely a ground as the truck is pretty beat up and rusted but i need a wiring diagram before i attempt to waste my time chasing wires.

busa4
11-21-2015, 06:34 PM
thanks blue bowtie. didnt see your post.

j cAT
11-22-2015, 07:31 AM
thanks guys. yes its a standard 2500 with only 1 tank.
the truck ran great most of the day. i got it home and stayed there for an hour or so and when i went to leave with the truck it wouldnt start. no fuel pump. it is most likely a ground as the truck is pretty beat up and rusted but i need a wiring diagram before i attempt to waste my time chasing wires.

with intermittent issue on the start only my guess is the security. if it dies on the run could be bad wiring/grounds. no volts to pump............

busa4
12-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys. Found the ground to the pump came loose. Tightened it up and it started. My fuel gauge doesn't work though. When the key is cycle does all the gauge needles to a sweep test? I just replaced the fuel pump 3 months ago because of the fuel gauge so I'm thinking the gauge motor went bad.

rhandwor
12-02-2015, 07:28 AM
You probably need a new sending unit. As they work on resistance if you ground the wire to the gauge it should peg the gauge.
http://www.ebay.com/ search item 310748140974

j cAT
12-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys. Found the ground to the pump came loose. Tightened it up and it started. My fuel gauge doesn't work though. When the key is cycle does all the gauge needles to a sweep test? I just replaced the fuel pump 3 months ago because of the fuel gauge so I'm thinking the gauge motor went bad.

who made the fuel pump ? airtex ? when this pump was installed did you have to change the pump electrical connector ? IF so you soldered and heat shrunk the wires right ?

busa4
12-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Aftermarket pump from pepboys. The pump was a drop in replacement and it was just replaced 3 months ago. The pump had the same connector. I have 5 volt reference voltage. I jumped the wires and there was no change to the gauge needle.

j cAT
12-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Aftermarket pump from pepboys. The pump was a drop in replacement and it was just replaced 3 months ago. The pump had the same connector. I have 5 volt reference voltage. I jumped the wires and there was no change to the gauge needle.

pepboys review on this pump
The fuel pump is still pumping fine after over a year. The big problem I have had is the fuel gauge is now not accurate. It actually reads that my tank is empty when it has about 5 to 7 gallons of fuel. This is quite annoying having to get gas every 100 to 150 miles just to play it safe but it is better than the other way around and having the gauge show more fuel than it actually has. For those who have never replaced a fuel pump like this before, you have to remove the entire gas tank so its not worth trying to take apart to fix the gauge glitch. It is unfortunate that the gauge uses a float on the fuel pump. The original float probably would have lasted forever.

I would like to see more warranty's displayed online. Too many parts don't tell me the warranty so to play it safe I buy somewhere that does.
I would be trying another brand before returning to this brand.

so many like you have installed these aftermarket pumps and with in a year they fail. then the hassle of the replacing and added cost. many repair shops do not use these pumps , they install ac delco or dephi pumps. cost a little more but they do last much longer. pepboys has the ac delco pump. see if you can get a better deal since this one is crap.

also never run below 1/3 fuel level it damages pump motor..........

busa4
12-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Thanks. It was the sending unit that failed.

j cAT
12-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks. It was the sending unit that failed.

many have had pump issues with new replacements do your self a favor only use ac delco or delphi .

If you read these forums about your vehicle you will save lots of cash and time. learn about all those GM defects that the dealerships won't tell you.
run it until its totally dead. The new vehicles are low quality plastic crap.

Add your comment to this topic!