Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto dimming center rearview mirror

olopezm
11-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi guys,

just a quick question, maybe someone can help.

I saw a windstar with the autodimming mirror at the junkyard; thinking that I should wire power and ground to it I was about to get it, but then I saw 3 wires on the plug for it and that got me thinking what would that third wire be...

I headed back home and checked my diagrams and found out that it's for the reverse cancel coming from the REM (rear electronics module). I think it would be hassle to wire that all the way from the back just to add that function. I tried to take a look between the headliner and metal to see if maybe the proper plug for the auto dimming mirror is already there but I couldn't find anything so my question is:

Does anyone have any idea if the plug for the auto dimming mirror is tucked somewhere between the headliner and roof? That would be awesome...

Thanks,

Oscar.

scubacat
11-30-2015, 10:15 PM
I think the actual plug goes right into the back of the mirror, doesn't it? It definitely goes up and BACK as far as I can tell. I'm not exactly willing to rip down the headliner to check, but you could certainly do that at pull-a-part. Nobody will be reusing that headliner anyway, so rip away at the junkyard unit and see. Maybe there's a pigtail you could take as long as you're at it...

Add your comment to this topic!