Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Project car ...

silicon212
11-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Well, I inherited a project car from my dad, who passed 4 weeks ago today. It is a 1967 El Camino with a SBC (unknown whether 327 or 350 - 010 block). Has an M22 "Rock Crusher" and a 12-bolt rear (unknown gears but suspect somewhere around 4.11/4.56).

It won't be a daily but this I do know about the engine:

It has G1 TFS Twisted Wedge heads (with proper rockers), an LT-1 intake (first gen 1970), and an L79 cam. I don't know much about the other internals, yet.

I will finish this for you, Dad. This will be a fun project.

Car also has an SS hood and will be medium garnet red color.

-The Stig-
11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your father, but the car sounds like a nice foundation to build on.

Post pics if you can.

Ol'Jim
01-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad.
Please keep us posted on that Elco project.

1986Z28
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Cant wait to see more of this project. Any pictures?

silicon212
02-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Been a while since I've been here. Pictures are to come. Engine is actually a 327 L79 built on a large journal 350 4-bolt block. It's almost ready to be driven, still needs paint.

silicon212
03-25-2016, 02:35 AM
A little update. I am about to get the car ready for the road. Just basic tuning left as all the electrical etc has been installed. So, I go to start the car and the starter started 'squeaking' and it made a sound similar to an engine with NO compression - take the plugs out and crank it ... but the crank was not turning.

A replacement flywheel should be here tomorrow. The ring gear got slippery and will not grip the wheel enough to turn the engine.

How fun it is ... funny thing that M22 does not seem to be as heavy as I remember from the last time I played around with one back in 1988 ...

Blue Bowtie
03-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Sandman - It's always the little things, or so it would seem. I thought that I was the only one who experienced these weird and freakish things like an unshrunken ring gear, a ball end falling out of a push rod, rear coil spring windings interlocking and sticking together on hard launches, and stuff like that. I'm glad it isn't just me.

Your memory is slipping. The M22 is just as heavy as ever. You're just wiser now and are probably not fighting the installation.

As you probably know, that trans is never going to be quiet but can be a little quieter and slightly smoother shifting with some of the modern GL4 lubricants with the right additive package (NO sulphur-based EP additives). You might want to investigate something like Red Line MTL.

I'm guessing that your navigator would be happy that you are making progress on what is now your shared project.

silicon212
03-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Sandman - It's always the little things, or so it would seem. I thought that I was the only one who experienced these weird and freakish things like an unshrunken ring gear, a ball end falling out of a push rod, rear coil spring windings interlocking and sticking together on hard launches, and stuff like that. I'm glad it isn't just me.

Your memory is slipping. The M22 is just as heavy as ever. You're just wiser now and are probably not fighting the installation.

As you probably know, that trans is never going to be quiet but can be a little quieter and slightly smoother shifting with some of the modern GL4 lubricants with the right additive package (NO sulphur-based EP additives). You might want to investigate something like Red Line MTL.

I'm guessing that your navigator would be happy that you are making progress on what is now your shared project.

I am sure it is just as heavy as ever ... it's just that I have a little bit more upper body strength now than I did as a 6'3, 145 lb 19 year old. I'm sure that is it! I'll look into that type of oil for it. However, the noise it makes, at least to me, is a part of its allure. Thanks!

1986Z28
03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Any updates on this?

silicon212
03-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Yeah, still working on it. Money is in short supply these days. It's licensed and driveable though.

silicon212
04-18-2017, 10:01 PM
OK here are a few pictures. I will tell you one thing. Over the last year, I've learned more about Holley 4150 DP carbs than I ever wanted to know, when it comes to tuning them. The red color is called Sport Red Metallic (code 63, 2003) and the whole car will be painted this color. The engine is a 350 built similar to an original LT-1, but has an L79 hydraulic cam in it. It has the BowTie LT-1 intake on it, Holley 650 DP, Muncie M20 wide ratio trans, 12-bolt posi 4.10 gears. The engine has on it a set of Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G1 heads, with 13 degree intake and 23 degree exhaust.

silicon212
06-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Quick little update.

Ol'Jim
06-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Very nice! Looks great in red. I'm sure your dad is smiling down on you for moving the project forward...:icesangel

Add your comment to this topic!