Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Park Avenue Driverside Taillight Lens

mjhicks
10-15-2015, 11:05 PM
I need to find a drivers side tail light lens for my 92 Park Avenue. A little over a month ago I was hit from behind. Even though the car did not seam to suffer that much damage it was valued as total loss. I am not in a position to replace a vehicle so I took the money and am trying to do a back yard fix up. Most of the problems can just be tweaked but I must have a tail light lens since I am keeping a salvage vehicle on the road the lights and brakes all have to be in perfect working order. I've been told 91 to 94 range for many compatible parts.
I may also need to get a new windshield... it had a previous crack and not sure it it will pass inspection.

Blue Bowtie
10-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Your best bet for a replacement lamp assemble might be a salvage yard (and their locator service) or eBay.

Rock Auto list the windshield as still available ($119.00), so if they can get one, it would seem that they are out there somewhere.

Crvett69
10-18-2015, 12:41 PM
there is a set of both at a wrecking yard in CA but they want $300. but if you go out of state and have it shipped i see them as cheap as $30. go to car-part.com and select all areas, it should show 4 pages of them. the most expensive ones are first. the page at the bottom with the * will have the cheapest ones

mjhicks
10-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Going to check out the suggestions and will post my results.

mjhicks
10-20-2015, 04:30 PM
So far I have the complete tail light assembly coming from Jacks Auto Parts in Minnesota for $135 including shipping. I am working on the windshield glass. I have a quote from Safelite for an in store replacement of $194.95 - including the molding. Anyone have any experience with their services - quality of work? Rock auto price for glass 119.79 + molding $51.79 + shipping 129.78 total of $301.36 then I have to hire someone to change the glass.... I am going to check with a custom auto glass I've used before.

mjhicks
10-27-2015, 03:22 AM
Update: Got a new windshield installed at Safelite. BTW the service techs at Safelite do great work. They follow all state and federal safety regulations, did a clean install, and washed all the windows and vacuumed the floor of my car. They almost declined the job since the molding along the top was coming loose and were worried about rust. If they take out glass and there is rust they can not put in new glass. I would have to have it towed to a repair facility... the tech offered to just remove the molding and carefully inspect for any signs of rust. If rusted he could replace the molding so I could make arrangements for rust repair and not have the car down too long with no front glass... If OK then they would replace it. I waited n waited ... finally I tiptoed into the shop area to see what was going on. When the tech saw me he grinned and held up two thumbs. He apologized for keeping me in suspense... was going to just surprise me with the new windshield.

I returned to the lobby to wait... Short time later the tech came to get me to show me another problem...
Sometime in her younger years before I acquired her the windshield was replaced before. The glass was not original GM glass and the wiring for the rear view mirror daylight adjustment was stuck in the glue... Had to be cut to get the glass out. The tech had me look over the situation before they proceeded. He said they would try to splice it if possible. I figured I was not too lazy and could just adjust the mirror manually if I had too. Turned out to be a plug in jumper so they saved both halves and left the plug accessible instead of tucking back into the headliner. My uncle will either splice the wires or re wire the one plug for me... Plenty of slack to work with.

AND the tail light from Minnesota arrived while I was out n about. Box looked like it had been chomped, stomped, and drug thru the dirt but the tail light was just fine so they must have re used an old box n packing material.... Some friends have pledged to help change it out. So my Betty Roo is a step closer to re-certification. Yeah!

Blue Bowtie
10-29-2015, 06:41 PM
Not a bad couple of days work.

mjhicks
10-31-2015, 01:45 PM
A friend came over last night to help replace the tail light assembly. We got the damaged one off and started to install the replacement... We smartly checked to be sure all the lights worked before buttoning up to the car. Swapped out bulbs and tweaked sockets so everything worked. Need to just get one new bulb for the license plate. Then we ran into a couple of problems so the replacement is temporarily attached with only half the posts that normally hold it in place. First the left side where it was hit the tail light doesn't fit right so the posts don't reach all the way thru. Either the damaged area will have to be beat out for a better fit or I am thinking replace the posts with some pieces of running thread long enough to reach all the way thru and put on regular washers and nuts. Then as we started to fit the right side we found two of the posts were broken off... I didn't look that close when I first opened the beat up shipping box. I checked in the box and sure enough the posts were there in the box. One has a stump of the plastic which I can screw in a piece of running thread and just use a regular washer and nut to attach it to the car. The other post broke out a chunk of plastic around it so it will take epoxy to glue it. So only the middle four posts are holding it for now. The bottom posts also normally have wire holders attached and wiring tie wrapped to them but all that is just taped in place with electrical tape for now. Too much going on where I need the car so further repairs will have to wait about a week.

Add your comment to this topic!