Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what does this sound like?

gw84
10-04-2015, 07:53 PM
93, 3.1 Left work the other day, started to back out of the spot when I noticed the car was a little louder than normal. Acted like it didn't have as much power. Luckily I don't live far so I went ahead and drove on home. Car was shaky and sluggish, not wanting to accelerate. My first instinct was the cat. was clogged, but I let someone else look at it and they determined that it was not the cat. A little later, looked under the hood to find that the water pump was spitting coolant up on the underside of the hood.

Related problems? What's going on?

Schurkey
10-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect a failed water pump to cause engine-performance problems.

HOW did "they" determine it was not the catalyst?

gw84
10-20-2015, 05:14 PM
maybe just a coincidence, but the water pump is definitely throwing fluid. The exhaust shop said it definitely wasn't the cat. converter. Too much exhaust coming from the pipe to indicate a clog (if my memory serves me correctly). I do recall him pointing out a rotten egg smell if that's helpful

MikeCStig
10-21-2015, 08:51 AM
If the water pump is spitting coolant, there's definitely something wrong with it. The problem is, you have to take it off to find out. It could be just a gasket leak, or the whole water pump is f*cked.
As far as being down on power, that sounds like a Lumina. It happens for all kinds of reasons, usually related the fuel system or ignition. Sometimes electrical problems related to bad grounds caused by corrosion.
To be honest I'm a little surprised that a Lumina that old is still alive...

Add your comment to this topic!