Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Nürburgring

365DaysofMotoring
09-27-2015, 12:38 PM
ON THIS DAY 90 Years AGO (27 Sept 1925) Construction began on the infamous Nürburgring racing circuit. It was often referred to as the ‘green hell’, because the original 13-mile Nordschleife course through the Eifel forests was considered the most dangerous section of road on the planet, with 174 turns and covering a rise and fall of almost 1,000 feet. The circuit holds a strange spell over many drivers, beckoning the brave to test their skill. The ‘green hell’ proved lethal to many, and was once rumoured to average 20 accidents a day during public sessions.

MikeCStig
09-27-2015, 09:52 PM
I knew the Nordschleife circuit was old, but 90 years? It is an amazing place, and definitely on my bucket list. Those blind, high speed corners (the green hell) some say the only way to make them safe is to memorize them... all 147 of them.
I've read about it, seen it on tv, I've seen many laps of it on YouTube, and played it in a video game. None of these things, I'm sure, would prepare me for the real thing. Hell, playing it in a game, some of the crashes I've been in were diabolical and scared the shit out of me. I'm still doing it though, I don't care if it's in a rental car!

Add your comment to this topic!