Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Chevrolet Aveo - Timing Belt broke down

Guillaume777
09-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, the timing belt of my car broke down while driving on the interstate.

The mechanic said it would be $750 to fix the timing belt. However he said the engine is likely destroyed and we would probably have to replace it too.

What should I do? Should I cross my fingers and paid the $750 to replace the belt hoping it will work? Should I try to do the work myself ($750 seems a bit pricey to change the belt)? Or should I just give up on the car?

gmtech1
09-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately, the timing belt of my car broke down while driving on the interstate.

The mechanic said it would be $750 to fix the timing belt. However he said the engine is likely destroyed and we would probably have to replace it too.

What should I do? Should I cross my fingers and paid the $750 to replace the belt hoping it will work? Should I try to do the work myself ($750 seems a bit pricey to change the belt)? Or should I just give up on the car?

If the timing belt broke on the highway, you most likely bent several valves and possibly punched a hole in a piston. The head will need to come off to find out for sure what damage has been done. If you like the car, look around for a used engine, replace the timing belt and water pump on it and drive on! Still cheaper than a new car.

putnapomosht
07-11-2016, 02:10 PM
:) towing (http://www.towingbg.com/)

Add your comment to this topic!