Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 taurus wagon Rear hatch electrical everything out

Moyockman
09-23-2015, 09:02 AM
I was given a Taurus wagon a 2000, Taurus wagon and it has some electrical problems.

The rear hatch is a mess, the center tail light left, right hatch brake lights and backup lights, and automatic lock all seem to be out.

I pulled the two panels off the pillars and the first connection inside the car look nice and connected. inside the hatch it appears as if all wires are connected.

is there a central point where all of these lights and locks meet that can be disconnected.

Everything else in the car seems to work.

oops forgot rear speakers are not working either.

shorod
09-24-2015, 06:42 AM
From my quick look at the wiring diagrams this morning I don't see one single connection that would only effect the items mentioned.

Does your wagon have the autolamps that turn the lights on when it gets dark outside? Also, does your wagon have the remote keyless entry?

If you are interested in the wiring diagrams for the power locks, rear lights, and speakers, send me a Private Message with the request and an e-mail address and I'll send you the PDFs of the diagrams.

What is your comfort level doing electrical system diagnostics? Do you have a test light or multimeter? Confirming if you are getting good voltage or ground to the bulbs would be a good place to start.

-Rod

Moyockman
09-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Thanks for your reply. I think ground is probably the most likely answer that would take out that many systems. I kinda dismissed it as an alternative in my mind early on because I usually associate ground as causing intermittent problems. I also didn't look but I also always mistakenly think of wiring all being home runs out and back and I often forget about the more economical use of chassis ground.

Ground is clearly the most likely cause. Hope so.

From my quick look at the wiring diagrams this morning I don't see one single connection that would only effect the items mentioned.

Does your wagon have the autolamps that turn the lights on when it gets dark outside? Also, does your wagon have the remote keyless entry?

If you are interested in the wiring diagrams for the power locks, rear lights, and speakers, send me a Private Message with the request and an e-mail address and I'll send you the PDFs of the diagrams.

What is your comfort level doing electrical system diagnostics? Do you have a test light or multimeter? Confirming if you are getting good voltage or ground to the bulbs would be a good place to start.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!