Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Blazer S10 Front End Squeaking - TOTAL amateur with cars -

braek
09-22-2015, 11:45 AM
I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer, 4x4, and it is having a massive squeaking problem.

I am a complete amateur with cars, but need to get this thing fixed up for a cold winter with kids. I am worried about this squeaking because it doesn't sound like the brakes. It squeaks when I turn corners and when I brake or go over speed bumps.

I would not only like some opinion on what the issue could be, but how serious it is. I have read it may just be the ball joints that need greased (or replaced)?

And I need some insight as to whether I could do the work myself. I need to learn this stuff eventually!

---------

Side Note: This may be important but almost didn't mention it because it is hellaciously embarrasing. I am worried this problem may have arisen from me not replacing the oil in a timely manner? I was checking the oil incorrectly for a time and thought that a smudge of oil on the dipstick was the oil line when it wasn't....it was bone dry on oil. Didn't kill the motor, but I have been keeping an eye out for problems from me driving without oil for however long I was. So embarrasing!!

NHRA
09-24-2015, 08:46 PM
could be a arm bushing-control arm bushings upper or lowers?

MikeCStig
09-25-2015, 04:54 AM
could be a arm bushing-control arm bushings upper or lowers?

I've seen this myself, and its common for control arm bushings to squeak on Blazers and S10s of that era. If it's just a squeak and not more of a groaning, grinding sound, it's not too serious yet, but you'll probably want to fix it anyway, that squeaky sound will drive you nuts.

Add your comment to this topic!