Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

door won't open from the inside

gw84
09-21-2015, 11:40 PM
99 k1500 (older body style)

I saw older threads but didn't want to revive 11 year old threads. Door opens from the outside but not from the inside. Do I need to remove the whole interior door panel? What am I looking for? My auto parts store sells this, but it seems to require rivets (I don't have a riveter) so if I DO need this part, is there another way to install it?http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/georgew84/0730152017_zpsjdcz1ecx.jpg

brcidd
09-22-2015, 06:17 AM
I've seen this dozens of times- front door, back doors no different. 9 times out of ten, you can remove door panel and take a large pair of pliers and bend the door latch rod so that the bend makes it "shorter" to compensate for the wear in the plastic bushings that has occurred and caused your issue. I bend the rod just enough to open the door with the latch-testing as I go-

works for another ten years- and cost $0 which is what I can afford!

gw84
09-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I've seen this dozens of times- front door, back doors no different. 9 times out of ten, you can remove door panel and take a large pair of pliers and bend the door latch rod so that the bend makes it "shorter" to compensate for the wear in the plastic bushings that has occurred and caused your issue. I bend the rod just enough to open the door with the latch-testing as I go-

works for another ten years- and cost $0 which is what I can afford!

is it pretty obvious which rod I'll be bending? Anything else I need to know?

brcidd
09-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Yeah- real obvious- the one that moves when you pull on the inside handle- and not the one the door lock switch moves.....

Add your comment to this topic!