Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Knocking sound in dash

utleythomas
09-19-2015, 02:10 PM
There is a knocking sound coming from the passenger side dash board in my 2010 Taurus. I found a youtube video that indicated in was a recirculation door motor. I replaced that but the knocking is still there. Any advice?

shorod
09-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Does the sound stop when the climate control is turned off? Do you have the automatic climate control or the manual control? Does the sound change with the blower motor speed setting?

--Rod

utleythomas
09-19-2015, 08:20 PM
It knocks when the car is turned on. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or not. Pressing the maxair made the noise stop. It tends to go away shortly after the car is started but comes back from time to time. I've only driven it once since the problems started. It's my GF's car.

Thanks,
Tom

shorod
09-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Since changing between Max A/C and Norm makes the noise stop, it sounds more like the recirculate door servo that is the issue.

If your car has the automatic climate control there is probably a way to perform a self test which may identify if that servo is working or not. If you confirm you have the automatic system I'll check the service manual for a self test mode.

-Rod

utleythomas
09-19-2015, 10:40 PM
To be honest, I don't know how to check if it's an automatic system. Is the recirculate door servo different from the recirculate door electric motor?

shorod
09-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Oops, sorry, for some reason I thought you typed that you replaced the blend door motor originally. I guess you already replaced the recirc.

The auto system is all buttons with an electronic display for the temperature and fan settings. The manual system will not have the electronic display.

-Rod

utleythomas
09-20-2015, 08:07 PM
It's an automatic system then. There is a digital temperature display.

liya_leacree
09-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Have you heard of the same knocking sound about Taurus?
Maybe you can search it on the Internet.

My car KIA has a round from A column during my driving on a bumpy road, it annoys. From the internet i know it is a comon problem for this series. And there are so many methods from car drivers.

If it is not helpful, you may call your car producer or afterseles.

Good luck.

shorod
09-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Well, bummer. The service manual does not make any mention of a way to implement a climate control self test other than through the use of a scan tool.

I guess you could always try unplugging one servo/motor at a time to see which one causes the clicking to stop, then remove that unit and order the same part number.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!