Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Impala 4t65e

AllGM
09-16-2015, 05:15 PM
I really screwed up. Need help. Wanted to replace driver's side output shaft (c.v.) seal. Used a seal pry tool, but caught the lip of the needle bearing behind the seal. Broke the bearing. Can I replace this bearing in the car? Spacial tools?

Blue Bowtie
09-16-2015, 08:12 PM
The left axle shaft bearing is pressed into the channel plate. As per the factory service manual, the channel plate should be removed from the transmission in order to replace it. The bearing can thus be pressed out from the interior side of the channel plate and then replaced from the exterior side.

It would be a fairly involved repair. Removal of the channel plate would require supporting the engine, removing the side cover, the valve body, the wire harness, linkage, cooler lines, and several other items before the channel plate could be removed. It may be possible to perform this without removing the complete transmission but It's pretty tight quarters for that. Still, it is potentially possible. It might be a good idea to consult a reputable local transmission shop for their advice.

However, I believe it could also possibly be done by only removing right axle shaft, removing the differential housing, then moving the differential unit and shaft as an assembly a few inches to the right. Doing this could provide enough space to install an internal jaw bearing/gear puller and remove the damaged bearing cage without dismantling the left side of the transmission in the vehicle. The replacement bearing could be driven in carefully with a drift of the proper size. If this is a possibility it could save a lot of labor, which translates into time and dollars.

Your local transmission shop may already have a method for this, and if so could save you significant cost.

Blue Bowtie
09-16-2015, 08:44 PM
This is the kind of thing you would need:

Axle Stabilizer Support (http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/FZ-84125LB.html)

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/T84275.jpg

AllGM
09-17-2015, 06:04 AM
The left axle shaft bearing is pressed into the channel plate. As per the factory service manual, the channel plate should be removed from the transmission in order to replace it. The bearing can thus be pressed out from the interior side of the channel plate and then replaced from the exterior side.

It would be a fairly involved repair. Removal of the channel plate would require supporting the engine, removing the side cover, the valve body, the wire harness, linkage, cooler lines, and several other items before the channel plate could be removed. It may be possible to perform this without removing the complete transmission but It's pretty tight quarters for that. Still, it is potentially possible. It might be a good idea to consult a reputable local transmission shop for their advice.

However, I believe it could also possibly be done by only removing right axle shaft, removing the differential housing, then moving the differential unit and shaft as an assembly a few inches to the right. Doing this could provide enough space to install an internal jaw bearing/gear puller and remove the damaged bearing cage without dismantling the left side of the transmission in the vehicle. The replacement bearing could be driven in carefully with a drift of the proper size. If this is a possibility it could save a lot of labor, which translates into time and dollars.

Your local transmission shop may already have a method for this, and if so could save you significant cost.
Thanks for the reply and good info. I already have the cover off because I was replacing solenoids, so I can pull the channel plate off now. Just to make sure, do I have to separate the valve body from the channel plate to get the channel plate off?

Add your comment to this topic!