Page updated on 11-18-2017

Tamiya 911 GT2 instructions - glass

willimo
08-12-2015, 06:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/willimo/10022667z5_zpsv2mtfhwm.jpg

The instructions are usually pretty clear, but I am not sure how to paint the glass here. The instructions seem to clearly show that I should paint the inside, but the molded relief is on the outside. What do y'all do?

Veyron
08-12-2015, 06:25 PM
I painted inside as usual and didn't really consider painting the outside.

sprite46cfk
08-12-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm just about to paint my GT2's rear glass also and am looking for a good masking technique to address the tight radius at the corners. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Chuck

hirofkd
08-12-2015, 07:06 PM
You paint both.
On the inside, you paint the area between a very fine line and the outer circumference of the window part. That's where the real car's window is glued to the body.
On the outside, you paint the relief. That's a sealing rubber, and it's usually the same material as the ones marked as X-18 in Step 11 of the instruction.
(You don't necessarily have to use X-18 Semigloss black. It's too glossy to my taste.)

I usually use a permanent ink pen to do the corners, and use a french curve to do the border lines because I have much better control with a pen. (Then I paint the rest with a brush.) You can even cut out a curved template out of a styrene sheet.

willimo
08-12-2015, 11:09 PM
I think my confusion came from the very weak engraving for the inside, painted window trim. I can barely see it, in fact I missed it the first time and am having to spray again.

For the trims, I like to use wide Tamiya tape across the whole glass, and cut away the outside so I just mask off what is clear in the center; the result is a lot like what most Japanese companies include in their kits these days. I often use a Zig pen (just happens to be the brand I have) to mark a wipe-off-able blue line before I put down the tape. I can see it through the tape for cutting, and what the paint doesn't cover, the tape lifts off.

stevenoble
08-13-2015, 12:50 AM
For corners I use Tamiya tape and punch circles in it using a punch and die set. I stick a circle into each corner and fill the space between them with straight pieces of tape..

Add your comment to this topic!