Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about disabling 4x4 on 2000 Jimmy NP8 with driveshaft removed?

OldJimmy4.3
08-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I've read many threads about 4x4 problems & operation, but since my driveshaft has been removed, I can't relate them to my situation.
I guess what I want to know is if there is a best way to disable 4x4 operation to keep the truck in 2 wheel drive & prevent the TCCM from trying/interfering, since that's what I feel is happening. (I'm just learning about this stuff tho, so what do I know?)

Background:
I had trans rebuilt a couple years ago after I lost reverse & was taking off in 3rd gear, according to repair shop notes. Also had a code P0758 for 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Electrical at the time.
About a month prior to that, I had tried to engage 4wheel drive but when I hit the 4Hi button, the 2Hi button light went off for a second, but came back on so no luck. The trans guy suspected the transfer case & thought he could fix that too, so I picked up a used one from a nearby used parts place.
He couldn't get it to work & think he suspected the actuator after trying, so he ended up just leaving off the drive shaft due to the amount of work, extra cost to me to get the transfer case back off. Ever since, my "service 4 wheel drive" on dash stays lit, but I'm pretty sure, the 2wheel drive button has been also always stayed lit.
Since then, the battery, alternator, serp belt & tensioner have all been replaced & I'm currently chasing what I believe is an electrical problem (cranks, no start) after it rains, so have been paying more attention to gages, dash lights, etc & recently noticed that most days, none of the buttons for my 4x4 are lit, but once in a while, the 4hi is flashing. If I push button for 2 wheel drive, nothing happens and 4 hi keeps flashing.(When I tried this once, I heard the click from the TCCM and buzz(?) like it was trying to change, but went back to 4hi flashing). Other times, no buttons are lit, or sometimes it looks like the Auto 4 wheel drive button is very faintly lit (green light) & no sound from TCCM.. The truck also feels like it's pulling to the left and seems louder at higher speeds on the freeway so I feel like it's working harder than it should if that makes sense. Also, recently pulled a C0323 code for the “transfer case low circuit

I suspect that recent repairs & electrical problems have the TCCM or PCM (or both) messed up/confused after battery being disconnected a few times, etc but don't know what to do about it. (The truck has 170k miles & I can't afford to fix the 4x4). I'm going to take it back to the trans shop to take a look at what's going on but hoping for some advice before I do.
Thanks!

OldJimmy4.3
08-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Anyone?

I'm very new to all of this so just looking for a little help & trying to learn all I can. If I can't get any help on this forum, can anyone recommend a forum where I'd have better luck getting some help? I don't want to keep joining different forums until I can finally get a a reply.

I've been also having a cranks, no start problem - got very little in the way of help here on that post as well.
Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!