Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1aAuto strut and spring assemby - 2007 Mazda3 S

monkeylizard
08-05-2015, 12:40 PM
My front struts are finally done for. At north of $800 just for the struts replacement (not incl springs) at the dealer, it's something I might tackle myself. I found a full assembly at 1AAuto, which is nice because I don't have to deal with compressing the springs or any other assembly. The bolt-in package is appealing. It's just a daily driver car so I don't need performance parts. I see in the Mazda parts diagrams that the 15" and 17" wheels get different part numbers for the struts. 1A says this is the part for all non-MS3 models, but that different stock part# is making me question that. They have a video on YouTube showing the process with these assemblies going on a car with the 15" wheels, but mine has 17".

First, does anyone know if there's really a difference in the struts between the 15" and 17" wheel and if so, is it a size difference where these assemblies wouldn't work with a 17"?

Second, does anyone have experience with the full assemblies like this one? Are they any good? Comments on their page and YT video are positive, but I know they could groom negative ones out so that's hardly impartial.

2007 Mazda3 S Touring - All stock

jamx13
10-21-2015, 08:27 PM
You've probably already done the work, BUT.....

Complete strut assemblies are definitely the way to go. I recently changed out the units on my kid's 2005 Mazda3 S (2.3L w/17" tires). I bought KYBs from RockAuto for about $100 each. That seems to be the going price (online) for the bigger name brands - Gabriel, KYB, Moog, Monroe. There are cheaper lesser known brands too. I almost went with FCS to save $25 per strut, but ultimately decided against it.

The actual swap out was relatively easy. 1AAuto has an excellent video. The sway bar link has to be disconnected & brake hose has to be secured out of the way but other than that, there are only 4 bolts to remove - 3 for the top mount & one lower pinch bolt. I had to beat on the steering knuckle with a sledge hammer to get it to release from the lower end of the strut, just like shown in the video. Once it broke loose, I switched to a 3lb hammer & block of wood to knock it off the rest of the way.

Add your comment to this topic!