Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2014 Toyota Corolla - lost both master keys

nisvet
08-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a leased 2014 Toyota Corolla L, which came with two keys. The keys are chipped, but have no buttons on it - I have to insert the key into the keyhole in order to open the door.

I lost one a while ago and now lost the other one. Prior to that, I had several spares made, which allow me to open the door only (not start the engine).

Toyota dealeship told that because I lost all the master keys, I now have to get 3 keys from them and reprogram the whole car ($400 total).

A local locksmith says that he can use a spare that I have and cut a blank chipped key and program it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do what the locksmith stated?

Thank you!

gmtech1
08-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I doubt the locksmith can program the theft system of your car, but if he claims he can, ask for some sort of guarantee to his work and let him try. My experience with GM is that you will need access to the manufacturer data base to program the vehicle, not something just anybody can do.

nisvet
08-03-2015, 10:30 AM
I doubt the locksmith can program the theft system of your car, but if he claims he can, ask for some sort of guarantee to his work and let him try. My experience with GM is that you will need access to the manufacturer data base to program the vehicle, not something just anybody can do.

Thanks! Google is busting with instructions of how to program car keys for various cars. I am just wondering, why does the whole car have to be reprogrammed if both keys are lost . But had I only lost one, i would only need to get a new key programmed (but not the whole car).

Add your comment to this topic!