Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

where to get grid board I see you guys using

aaroncrombie
06-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Where can I get that grid-like board I see in some of the pictures posted here. Can you get it magnetic to set up a jig to help with gluing wheels, etc? I think I saw that in a book somwhere. There is a Hobby Town here, but too damn expensive...I've gotten most my supplies off eBay so far for much cheaper.

Getting back into the hobby (last model I built was when I was 12 or so, now 30. And even then I only built about 2-3).

All the FAQ/tips on this board have been great! Best board I have come across so far.

Thanks,

Aaron

flyonthewall
06-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Thats a self healing mat. You should be able to find them in any hobby or arts and craft store.

TheSyndicate
06-30-2003, 03:05 PM
You can actually find that at a cloth/sewing/knitting store. Some even come made of a self-healing gel so you can use it for a cutting board.

rhmatt
06-30-2003, 03:33 PM
They are plentyful and not very expensive. I have a 24"x36" and it was about $30. Great surface to work with. Try Hobbylobby or Wal-Mart if you are in the US. They are stocked with the sewing supplies.

Welcome to AF!

-Rick

subyfanatic
06-30-2003, 03:48 PM
IMO- I think $30 for those boards is on the high side. No offense to the guys here using it, if it works for you it's all good. Personally, I stick to cork board which serves a similar purpose. The thicker density boards last a very long time, I've had mine for about 8 years now. You can find this at local Home Depot or building supply store. Cheaper cork boards can be found in some dollar stores, it's basically just a pinup board for notes and such that you can hang in your kitchen. They're good for the scale modelling abuse and I doubt you'll go through thirty of them in your lifetime.

Maybe it's just me, I can't bring myself to paying much for that self healing board. I can however continue to spend hundreds on models every few months. :dunno:

Bigg "E"

Marco_Wrc
06-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Welcome :wave: enjoy your stay, which you will ofcourse :)

ShOrtyOC714
06-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Just go to hlj.com and look under Tamiya and u will find it for only $7.

aaroncrombie
07-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Found an 11x17" sheet at a Michael's (craft store) for $13, works great. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!