Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trying to hotwire a car but there were no wires?

Beigryan
07-16-2015, 01:48 AM
When I opened up the wheel cover of my brothers car there were no wires that I needed to hotwire it? when I opened up the wheel cover of my brothers car there were no wires that I needed to hotwire. I looked for them but I cannot find them I'm not sure where they are could someone tell me a general area for a Honda where they might be? Some pictures would be great for you I looked for them but I cannot find them I'm not sure where they are could someone tell me a general area for a Honda where they might be? Some pictures would be great!

shorod
07-16-2015, 06:39 AM
What are you trying to accomplish here? What are you trying to accomplish here? Are you just trying to get the car started or do you need to be able to drive it too? Are you just trying to get the car started or do you need to be able to drive it too? Does your brother know you're trying to do this? Does your brother know you're trying to do this?

-Rod

Beigryan
07-16-2015, 11:14 AM
What are you trying to accomplish here? What are you trying to accomplish here? Are you just trying to get the car started or do you need to be able to drive it too? Are you just trying to get the car started or do you need to be able to drive it too? Does your brother know you're trying to do this? Does your brother know you're trying to do this?

-Rod

Yes he knows he didn't have any keys and need a way to start it. He asked me because I normally know a lot about cars. Right now he's got no ride or keys. I'm his ride to work every morning haha.

shorod
07-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Well, just hot-wiring the car will not address the steering wheel lock. Having the engine running but not being able to steer is not a good thing. Also, if the car has any sort of theft prevention (transponder keys, etc.) you won't be able to start the car anyway. Not to mention if you hot wire the car and disable the steering lock, if he were to get pulled over for speeding or something and the cop sees it, he'll be pulled through the open window and have a knee (or worse) pressed in to his back.

Has he pursued ordering a new key base on his VIN from the dealer or a local locksmith? You might also look in to buying a replacement key cylinder switch from a local parts store. It would still require getting a bit creative to get the old cylinder out since you don't have a key, but would be an all-around better approach than trying to hotwire the car.

And assuming you are adamant that you want to hotwire it, anyone crazy enough to provide the specifics over the forum would need to know more specifics about the car (year, model, sub-model, and auto transmission or manual).

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!