Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiper problem

JohnL78
07-08-2015, 08:37 PM
I have an 03. When I was driving home about an hour ago, the driver's side wiper went further and further to the left finally lodging behind my side mirror. When I pulled over to reset the wiper, it then struggled to move, colliding with the passenger side wiper, and then repeated the same further left movement.

I am guessing this is a tightening issue. However, the 2003 doesn't have an exposed cap on the wiper arm, but a rubber casing that won't seem to budge. Is there a way around this without taking it in for repair? How much does something like that run on average?

aleekat
07-09-2015, 08:21 AM
You may have the style that has no nut if you can flip the cover away. Look at the side at the base area for a small tab. You lock the wiper up, pull the tab away from the arm and wiggle to get off. Probably stripped the wiper arm, soft metal splines.

JohnL78
07-09-2015, 02:58 PM
It's been confirmed that "something" in the wiper arm is stripped. However, the mechanic(s) that do that sort of work were not there to assess exactly what and give an estimate cost for repair. From what I keep reading it could range from $20-$30 to $200 or $300 depending on what's wrong/parts/labor.

aleekat
07-09-2015, 03:41 PM
The wiper stalk(what sticks out of the cowl) is splined cone shaped(male) made out of hardened steel. The wiper arm is splined(female) but soft metal. So if the wiper is frozen to the windshield it's better to have the wiper arm strip out than the stalk. I'm guessing you just need a new arm. If you can't get the arm off by yourself, stop at autozone, advanced auto, etc have them look.

Add your comment to this topic!