Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Lesabre Ltd - Plastic twist on ignition switch

2buicks
07-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Must be the interior temperature this time of year, one ear of the plastic twist on the ignition switch has disintegrated. Can that be easily replaced or is it part of the ignition switch? Thanks for any replies or suggestions you might have! - Rick

Tech II
07-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Can you post a picture?

2buicks
07-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Can you post a picture?

Tech - I tried, but the picture size is too large. The item I am referring to is the plastic ring around the entry area where the ignition key is inserted. There are two ears on this ring which you hold in your hand when starting. One of those ears has disintegrated. Sorry, I was hoping the pic would help!

Blue Bowtie
07-04-2015, 04:06 PM
The two key assist tabs? I thought those were die cast zinc, not plastic, but it wouldn't be a great surprise if they did change near the end of that series steering column.

Tech II
07-04-2015, 07:33 PM
You mean this? It's the lock cylinder.....

https://www.rockauto.com/info/154/US529Lphoto%20primary.jpg

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3788907&cc=1379796&jnid=480&jpid=1

2buicks
07-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Tech - Yes, that's what I am looking for. Is that something that can be done without going to the dealership and having to reprogram the car? Thanks so much for finding that for me. - Rick

Tech II
07-05-2015, 08:19 AM
There is nothing to reprogram.......I would recommend you take the cylinder to a locksmith who will insert the correct tumblers for you, to match your key......or if you feel adventurous, remove the old tumblers one at time(they are numbered) and install the corresponding numbered tumbler into the new one.....cylinder usually comes with tumblers, springs, and the locking plate, which you have to peen over to keep it in place....

Now getting that cylinder out is another story......you have to remove the plastic trim to get to a hole in the top of the steering column.....you turn the key to on, insert a pick into the hole to depress a tab on the end of the cylinder, and then it comes out......you can see the tab in the picture that has to be depressed to pull the cylinder out.....

2buicks
07-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech - Thanks so much for the info you have given me. My wife keeps saying it is fine, but it will probably get worse as time goes on. I will get everything together and then try to replace it. It is fine for right now, so I have time to muster up the courage to replace it! :-) LOL - Rick

Add your comment to this topic!