Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Ignition Key, How Does it Work?

happydog500
07-02-2015, 01:24 AM
I just upgraded from a 97 Lesabre to a 98 Park Avenue.

I know how the Lesabre Key worked, you have to get a key with the same number resistance.

Seems like the 98 P.A. is different, something about Pk3.

What is it, and how does it work? What do I need to do if I get a new key?

Will any PK3 (what ever that is) work? Do I need a certain one?

Thank you,
Chris.

Tech II
07-02-2015, 07:32 PM
There is PassKey I, PassKey II, and PassKey III......

The first two, use a resistor in the key.......

The third one uses a transponder in the key......there is an "exciter" ring, that goes around you key cylinder....when you insert the key,the exciter "energizes" the transponder to send a signal to the PassKey III module, when the module receives this signal, it then sends a fuel enable signal either to the BCM or directly to the PCM.....

If you have a key that starts the car(it must be a master key, usually black head, not a valet key, usually a grey head), then you just need to buy another PassKey III key and have it cut.....this does not use a resistor pellet, so there is not a specific key with a specific resistor you have to buy.....they are all the same....

To program the key, you will just need your master key and the new key(valet keys can't be used for obvious reasons).....take the master key, insert it, and turn the key to "on"( don't crank the vehicle), and when the SECURITY light goes out, remove the master key, and within 5 seconds, insert the new key, turn it to "on"(don't crank)....when the SECURITY light goes off, turn the key to off, and then turn the key to start the vehicle.....very easy, lemon squeezy....I think those keys go for around $65.

happydog500
07-02-2015, 08:46 PM
OK, thank you.

I can get two Key Blanks for $12.00 off the internet. I asked the place that specializes in keys. They won't cut it. The only way they will do it is if I buy the key from them. They sell them for $30. The ones on the internet I can get are OEM, have the three Buick symbol thing. There's don't have anything on theirs.
The key place says the cheaper keys are made of mettle that wrecks there machine.

There are a few places that will cut keys. A few months a go with another car, one place tried twice and messed up on both of them. I gave up. Makes me kind of nervous to get cheaper blanks and go to a hardware store to get them cut.

Thank you,
Chris.

Tech II
07-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Don't go to those hardware stores.....have them cut by a Locksmith....

Did you price the keys at a dealership? It includes cutting them....

Blue Bowtie
07-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Broad statements like that are dangerous - Some hardware stores are capable. My favorite hardware store has full-time locksmiths on staff. They are one of only about a dozen places within 250 miles which is registered with the Schlage Primus system, and most of the others are in Chicago, Milwaukee, and Indy. If you know anything about locks, that is a highly regulated system where key blanks are unavailable anywhere else, and people have started trying to 3D print the blanks to get around the system.

FWIW, when dealerships have lock cylinder problems, they usually subcontract the work to actual, real locksmiths. Original VATS, PS1 and PS2 keys at the dealership are about $30. The same keys cut from code are $11 at my hardware store, $7 if copied. Passlock keys are $2.

happydog500
07-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Don't go to those hardware stores.....have them cut by a Locksmith....

Did you price the keys at a dealership? It includes cutting them....

The only locksmith in town will not cut a key unless I buy it from them. I did find the dealer will cut one for $8.

I'll go back and ask how much for a blank at the dealer.

Chris.

happydog500
07-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Do you think the keys that are 2 for $12 are as good of quality as the other more expensive ones?

Could be just lower overhead, or maybe a key that may, down the line wear out the lock quicker?

Chris.

Tech II
07-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Blue Bowtie....Dangerous?

If you want quality work done, I don't know of any hardware store in my area that employs a locksmith....

I've never seen a GM dealership subcontract out, lock cylinder work, to a locksmith.....

There are a lot of cheap keys made out there, many are probably from China.....

Try your luck with Ebay or Amazon.....cheaper than the dealership....then have them cut by a locksmith or dealership.....

Blue Bowtie
07-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech - That's a bit of a surprise. I thought that if anywhere, that part of New England would still have some real, actual hardware stores, staffed by skillful people. I guess the chain/box stores have displaced them?

Thanks for the on-line tips, but I'll stick with my local source. From what I've seen, many of the low-dollar blanks are steel, not brass, and thus will quickly wear the milling cutter on a rotary duplicator. They're probably far worse on a shearing cutter - The type generally used when cutting a blank to a code. What's possibly worse is that they would wear down the plate tumblers found in most automotive cylinders even faster.

Tech II
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Blue bowtie, you buy what is out there.......

Go to any store in America and try to buy something that is made in this country........you may have more knowledge of the do's and don'ts of buying and cutting keys, but the average american will look at the bottom line.....

Stand by any parts counter in any area, and listen to customers when they come in......they will be offered a choice of paying 100 bucks for brake pads, 50 bucks, or 20....guess which one they will buy........guess which one the store will have more of?

Add your comment to this topic!