Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need a New Front Subframe

suikojay
06-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Hi, I went to my local Midas today to have my (1999 Oldsmobile Alero V6 3.4L) car checked out for a strange noise in my front left tire area, and I don't remember all the technical things they said (I'm definitely not a car guy), but I do remember them saying that my front subframe had rusted out and that I need to get another one ASAP, and that it's dangerous to drive my car at the moment. They said they could get another one for me for $1,000 to $1,200 (I'm not sure if that includes labor or not).

So I've checked around on the Internet, and I found this site: http://www.allusedparts.com/oldsmobile/alero/1999/suspension_cross_membersubframe/#card96d76f71fa6b92bd3503d6cd3cfd76aa

Is this the right part that I need? If it is, it seems like it is being sold for $318, but also comes with a $75 local savings discount (when I add it to the cart), so it ends up being only $243, and that includes shipping.

Is this a good price for that part?

Also, is there a list of vehicles that have parts that are compatible with my vehicle? I think certain years of the Pontiac Grand Am and Chevy Malibu are also compatible, so could I possibly search for a Front Subframe from these types of cars as well?

Thanks in advance to any help u guys can give me! :)

Tech II
06-28-2015, 09:42 AM
The picture is for the rear suspension components....

Call your local recycling yard....yes, all the "N" bodies((Alero, Grand Am, etc.) should use the same part #....

Let me say this...if your cradle is bad, I guarantee the rest of your underbody is too, like like brake and fuel lines, rear suspension, etc....you don't say if it is damage or rust....this determines if it is worth getting fixed....

When they had this on the lift, did they show you ALL possible problems?

suikojay
06-30-2015, 05:28 PM
When they had it on the lift, they called me on the phone to tell me the subframe was rusted out, and that I needed a new one. From what I recall, that was the only thing they mentioned I needed replacing, they may have said other things, but it probably went over my head since I'm not very knowledgeable about cars. But my brother (who's a mechanic), looked at it and thought the same thing.

I did want to mention that the problem is fixed now. I purchased a used, good condition subframe at a salvage yard place for $150 and had it installed for $300 at a shop that one of my mechanic friend recommended. Everything's working good and smooth now.

From what I understand, the original issue was that the subframe rusted out completely right at one of the 2 mounting points/bolts for the steering rack, so the steering rack was being held in by one bolt. So the rack had some play to it. And this was what was causing noise sometimes when I steer the car. I had a look at the actual subframe when it was taken out, and it didn't seem too bad except at that one mounting point. From what I've read from another person who encountered this problem, it appears that the AC drain, drains right at one of those mounting points, and this is why it typically rusts right at one of those mounting points for the steering rack.

suikojay
07-01-2015, 08:14 PM
From what I've read from another person who encountered this problem, it appears that the AC drain, drains right at one of those mounting points, and this is why it typically rusts right at one of those mounting points for the steering rack.I was wondering, is there a way to adjust the AC drain so that it doesn't drain in that vicinity?

Add your comment to this topic!