Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Silverado Power Mirrors Troubleshoot

phipps
06-18-2015, 04:05 PM
I have a 1999 Silverado that the power mirrors are not working. Does anyone have troubleshooting tips?

Thanks,

Gary

j cAT
06-19-2015, 08:16 AM
I have a 1999 Silverado that the power mirrors are not working. Does anyone have troubleshooting tips?
Thanks,
Gary

the reason these do not work most times is the control pad is dirty . remove open pad and clean circuit /pad control with some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swap gently.

my 2000 had this issue when new still works now but I did have to clean it after a few years ...
the other issue with these mirrors is they fall off. there is a very cheap piece of metal used to hold them in place I installed a self tapping screw to lock in this retainer washer no more mirrors falling off...

phipps
06-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. That would make sense. I was fiddling with it this morning and if I wiggle the pad enough I got the mirrors to move up, but nothing else.

Does the switch bezel just pop out or do I need to remove the door panel?

j cAT
06-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. That would make sense. I was fiddling with it this morning and if I wiggle the pad enough I got the mirrors to move up, but nothing else.

Does the switch bezel just pop out or do I need to remove the door panel?

this pops off the assy with all the switches.. no door panel removal required .

then the removal of the mirror switch pops apart for you to clean up the cir board/pads..

what can happen is pushing down hard wiggle the pad can wear out this ...so when it is not work right clean it up to avoid this..

phipps
06-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I will give it a shot before I buy a new one.

phipps
06-20-2015, 04:59 PM
I tore the switch apart and cleaned it today. Both mirrors now work!!!

One caution, the little metal contacts for the selector switch fell out and I put them in backwards. Tore it back apart and flipped them around the right way and everything works like it should.

Thanks for the suggestion! Saved me a few bucks.

j cAT
06-21-2015, 08:59 AM
I tore the switch apart and cleaned it today. Both mirrors now work!!!

One caution, the little metal contacts for the selector switch fell out and I put them in backwards. Tore it back apart and flipped them around the right way and everything works like it should.

Thanks for the suggestion! Saved me a few bucks.

It is a good cheap fix and you will have to do this again because of the design Gm made which does not protect this from the environment ..

johnbradshow
07-06-2015, 05:34 PM
I had the same problem before and the dealership fixed it in 10 mins just by swapping a blown fuse. You should check your fuse box for blown one as well before doing anything else... just 2 mins quick checkup job!

j cAT
07-06-2015, 06:57 PM
I had the same problem before and the dealership fixed it in 10 mins just by swapping a blown fuse. You should check your fuse box for blown one as well before doing anything else... just 2 mins quick checkup job!

I guess it is possible power to this may have caused the problem . The switch / control pad is what all , have had fail , due to the lack of protection from the elements. with the NBS models... lets say you did indeed have a fuse blown cause your loss of the mirror operation , then were was the short circuit , that the dealership found ? The poster did fix the problem , for just a short amount of effort to clean the pads ...

Add your comment to this topic!