Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new owner of 2005 suburban with questions.

scoutinkeith
06-18-2015, 09:31 AM
We just purchased a "new to us" 2005 suburban to be our new family hauler.
Local fire department had it since new, and it appears to have been very well maintained.

I believe the issues I'm having are a result of the removal of the lights and radios that were previously installed.
The power windows and locks all work, EXCEPT on the drivers side rear door (not the hatch, but the door directly behind the drivers door).

I'm thinking a wire may have gotten cut by accident, or a plug may have gotten disconnected. Before I just start pulling door panels and testing wires; I was wandering if anyone knew of a connection anywhere else that I should check? I'd hate to pull the door panel, only to find out that it's a common issue with a simple fix.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Keith

Blue Bowtie
06-18-2015, 07:10 PM
If both the power window does not operate from either the LF (driver's) door master panel or from the LR door switch, the problem could be the LR door switch or lift motor. Instead of removing the entire interior trim panel for the door you may be able to remove the switch alone. The LR and RR switches are identical, so exchanging them for diagnosis rather than replacing one could be worthwhile.

Use a small flat-bladed tool in order to carefully compress the clip behind the the door power window switch, then remove it from the door trim panel. Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch. Do the same on the RR door and connect the known working switch to the left rear door electrical connector, but do not clip the switch into the door panel (just for testing). Try the window with the known working switch.

Many times these Alps switches can be cleaned and restored to operation, but it does require some careful disassembly and reassembly.

The door lock actuator is more straightforward. If the actuator does not lock or unlock the door, the wiring to the door or actuator could be at fault. The interior door panel would have to be removed to diagnose that wiring and actuator motor. There is only one lock and unlock relay in the IP fuse panel, so if all the other door locks are functioning those relays are intact.

scoutinkeith
06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Blue Bowtie,

Thanks for the info.
I tried as you suggested, and swapped the LR window switch with the RR switch, with no change. The LR window still does not work. I did notice though, that neither switch would illuminate when plugged into the LR door.

However, by sheer dumb luck, I did get the LR power lock working.
I noticed a small bit of bare wire sticking out by the parking break petal. I pulled the kick panel off, and found that the parking brake petal had been rubbing on the wiring behind it. There was a Grey wire, and a White wire that had worn completely in two.

I repaired the two wires, and the lock on the LR door now works.

Blue Bowtie
06-19-2015, 07:43 PM
The problem MAY be in the LF (driver's) door master switch. You will need the wiring diagram and a voltmeter to troubleshoot that. I believe you might find the diagram online.

scoutinkeith
03-03-2016, 08:05 AM
wow, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.
I got the window fixed, it ended up being a little electronic part (resistor or something) built into the window motor. I just swapped in a new window motor and everything is working again.
I suspect I have a loose connection or bad wire going to the drivers door speaker, but I'm not really worried about that at the moment.
thanks for all the help.

Add your comment to this topic!