89 Tempo safety lockout not working

greybeard851
06-17-2015, 10:22 AM
The gearshift lever can be moved out of park without having first stepped on the brake pedal. It had always worked before. How does lockout work? What might have changed to allow movement now?

Thanks,

Grey

aleekat
06-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Solenoid at the gear shift. Depressing pedal sends voltage to the solenoid to get out of the way. Spilled coffee, sodas etc can gum up the solenoid.

greybeard851
06-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Thank you for your quick response. I recently had the ball joints and bushings replaced on the front end. I suppose it is possible that the wire to it may have been pulled off, or it may have just quit on its own. It's really not a terribly big deal as I am in the habit of stepping on the brake first anyway, but I had wondered why it happened and what could be done about it.

I may just snoop around under there and see if I see a wire dangling. If not, I'll probably just leave it alone since it wouldn't cause any other difficulty... I don't think. :confused:

Again, Thanks.

Grey

aleekat
06-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Doubtful that any front end work would have caused it. I had to disable a cutlass yrs ago because sometimes you couldn't get it to release out of park. Just disabled it. Won't cause any issues.

Add your comment to this topic!