Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2007 Yukon SLT Steering Position Sensor

taxman9
06-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Hello - I recently replaced the rack and pinion, inner/outer tierods, lower and upper ball joints on my Yukon. When priming the powersteering pump with the vehicle jacked up (engine off ignition on) the traction control/stabilitrack light came on. I pulled the code and it's a chasis code for the steering position sensor issue. I think this just needs to be re centered somehow - does any one know how to do that or do I need to take it in? I tried jacking the truck up and then turning ignition on (engine off) and turning the wheel all the way to the right then all the way to the left and then centering (something I saw online) but that didn't work?

When I start the car the light isn't on, if i immediately turn the wheel the light comes on and turns off stabilitrack/tractoincontrol. If I don't immediately turn the wheel the ABS will kick in a time or two while driving and eventually trip the light. I've since just removed the ABS fuse to avoid the ABS kicking in.

THanks for any help!

Oh also I did have it in for an alignment and I think the shop should have reset this as part of their procedures??

gmtech1
06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Your best bet is to replace the sensor. Be sure to leave the centering pin installed on the new sensor until it is pushed into place on the steering column. After the the sensor is installed, pull the pin.

taxman9
06-04-2015, 09:56 PM
The sensor is over $100 and replacing would include removing the steering wheel and airbag and such....But I don't think there is anything wrong with the sensor I think it just needs to be recentered/set? Isn't there something to check before going through all of the hassle and $ to replace the sensor?

Add your comment to this topic!