Page updated on 11-22-2017

products for cleaning resin parts

GTRfan01
06-02-2015, 02:49 AM
hello everyone.

I'm interested to know what everyone has found to be the best way to remove mold release agents from resin parts ?

using the search function Ive heard of using thinners, oven clear, alcohol, and just good old soapy water, but i'm skeptical about a few of those...

I know there are proper items sold for this purpose but i'm sure i can find something that will do the job just fine.

So whats best?

thanks in advance

Mr Plumb
06-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Washing up liquid should do the trick. Don't use handwash though!

lemansnut
06-02-2015, 08:46 AM
I don't know if there is any one "do all" cleaner, it depends on the release agent that was used. I've had some that clean off with no problem at all and others that I used everything from 99% alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner and dishwashing soap and nothing seemed to touch it. My normal is bleach/water solution and that will usually do it.

Mike

GTRfan01
06-02-2015, 11:23 AM
ok , thanks guys.
much appreciated.

i'll give it a go!

MPWR
06-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Echoing what lemansnut said above, it's hard to know exactly what the best thing to remove a mold release agent- it's a bit of a moving target if you don't know what the agent in question is.

That having been said, generally a mold release agent shouldn't be hard to remove- it's whole purpose is of course to reduce adhesion. Warm water and a grease cutting dishsoap should generally do it. I will add though that scrubbing all surfaces as you wash with an old toothbrush or similar will significantly aid in the process. Subjecting everything to a good mechanical scrubbing action with a cleaner is probably more important that what you use as a cleaner.

GTRfan01
06-02-2015, 11:10 PM
[quote=MPWR;7164678]Echoing what lemansnut said above, it's hard to know exactly what the best thing to remove a mold release agent- it's a bit of a moving target if you don't know what the agent in question is.

thanks for your comment.

i'm using mann ease release 200

stevenoble
06-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Bodyshop panel wipe will remove any grease or residue including mold release agents.

GTRfan01
06-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Bodyshop panel wipe will remove any grease or residue including mold release agents.

Hello stevenoble

Have you used that before?
It did cross my mind as its something I have.
But I came to the conclusion seeing you need to wipe it on, then wipe it off with a clean rag when using for automotive use, that youd also need to wipe it dry if used for resin parts?

If youve used it whats your technique when using this product?

stevenoble
06-04-2015, 04:54 AM
Hello stevenoble

Have you used that before?
It did cross my mind as its something I have.
But I came to the conclusion seeing you need to wipe it on, then wipe it off with a clean rag when using for automotive use, that youd also need to wipe it dry if used for resin parts?

If youve used it whats your technique when using this product?

Yes, I've used it many times, in fact it's all I ever use on both resin, plastic and white metal. I simply wipe it on then wipe it with a dry cloth. Then I use a tack cloth to remove any residue or dust, then onto primer.

GTRfan01
06-04-2015, 05:07 AM
Yes, I've used it many times, in fact it's all I ever use on both resin, plastic and white metal. I simply wipe it on then wipe it with a dry cloth. Then I use a tack cloth to remove any residue or dust, then onto primer.

Thanks heaps for that
ill give that a try

Add your comment to this topic!